Leaking Shower Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff1

Reaction score
Hi all,

My 2nd floor shower started leaking - or at least we just noticed the leak. When I cut the drywall under the shower, I found some issues with the drain pipe (see the attached). What I'd like to do is cut the existing drain line and replace the damaged area with PVC. Is this a reasonable approach?

Thanks again for all your advice.

Jeff

Attachments

• IMG00052.jpg
    IMG00052.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 639
  • IMG00053.jpg
    IMG00053.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 618
  • IMG00054.jpg
    IMG00054.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 584
  • IMG00055.jpg
    IMG00055.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 589

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would remove the drain from the shower and cut the copper pipe well back from the P-trap. I would then install one of these Davke 3000 no hub shower drains and a new PVC line and p-trap using Fernco Proflex Couplings...

danke3000.jpg

There is a special Fernco Proflex just for making the connection to copper. the rubber on one side is extra thick to compensate for the thinner walled copper tubing. Make sure you use the right one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeff1

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'll see if my local plumbing house has them.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

One problem you might have is that the plastic trap is going to hang a lot lower than your brass one, so it might not fit into the ceiling according to your pictures. And you cannot just "raise" it.

Jeff1

Reaction score
Update on the work

I was able to cut the bad section out. Actually, I only cut the horizontal run. The vertical was so rotted that I was able to use my hand and break it off. I cut off the remaining bad vertical section.

I was not able to remove the drain. It is screwed too tightly to the fiberglass enclosure above and there it very little room. It looks like I have to use the remaining good tailpiece (about 3 inches) and clamp and ABS p-trap into the line.

Thanks again for your help.

Attachments

• IMG00057.jpg
    IMG00057.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 518
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks