(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How old is your water heater?

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

About 80 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    A water heater replacement is a lot cheaper than water damage.
    The IPC has a paragraph that requires a pan when damage from leaks is possible, i.e. if it's not on a bare or tiled basement slab near a drain or in a crawl, etc. Don't know the paragraph number off hand, but someone showed it to me recently.

If you're under IPC, the installer may be liable if he omits the pan.

Extreme DIY Homeowner Scuba_Dave's Avatar

Well, yeah most of them will last 80 years if they aren't connected

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gills View Post
    About 80 years now.

DIY Handyman (not 4 hire)
    I have enough to do to my own house

As someone who owned a service business (auto repair) for many years, and knows something about honesty, I want to mention the obvious about this free water heater business. The honest thing to do would have been to tell the original owner about the free replacement water heater. Although it's not your fault that he went out and bought a water heater before the warranty fact came to light, it is still his warranty, not yours. All you had to do was call him up and tell him about it, and ask if he wanted to have the free water heater. There's probably a better than 50-50 chance he would have said no and you could have kept it guilt free. But maybe if he was a person who knows the value of money, and had extra space in his garage; he would have taken his free water heater and put it up for sale at half price and earned $200 plus to help pay for the Home Depot water heater he shelled out for.

Had you done this, you would have gained more PR than you can imagine, the home owner would probably have told all his friends how honest you were. And they would have told their friends. Also, you could have advertised that you were an honest plumber and it wouldn't have been the usual advertising bs. That's worth infinitely more than the money you earned re-selling the short warranty water heater. Not to mention what ever guilt you may be carrying around after taking advantage of two customers. And believe it or not, you would feel good about yourself for many many years, especially if you continued to operate this way.

I know it's hard to turn down free things, but this was a test...hope you've learned something from it.

jc

Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area

Quote Originally Posted by jbclem View Post
    As someone who owned a service business (auto repair) for many years, and knows something about honesty, I want to mention the obvious about this free water heater business. The honest thing to do would have been to tell the original owner about the free replacement water heater. Although it's not your fault that he went out and bought a water heater before the warranty fact came to light, it is still his warranty, not yours. All you had to do was call him up and tell him about it, and ask if he wanted to have the free water heater. There's probably a better than 50-50 chance he would have said no and you could have kept it guilt free. But maybe if he was a person who knows the value of money, and had extra space in his garage; he would have taken his free water heater and put it up for sale at half price and earned $200 plus to help pay for the Home Depot water heater he shelled out for.

Had you done this, you would have gained more PR than you can imagine, the home owner would probably have told all his friends how honest you were. And they would have told their friends. Also, you could have advertised that you were an honest plumber and it wouldn't have been the usual advertising bs. That's worth infinitely more than the money you earned re-selling the short warranty water heater. Not to mention what ever guilt you may be carrying around after taking advantage of two customers. And believe it or not, you would feel good about yourself for many many years, especially if you continued to operate this way.

I know it's hard to turn down free things, but this was a test...hope you've learned something from it.

jc

Who are you, Dr. Phil? Sounds like you got a guilty conscious for ram-rodding your customers for years and now it's a "come-clean" and point fingers tell all. Pfft!

When I got those tickets for him and his wife for the fireworks show,

They told about 5 different groups of people, and since I've done work for them as well, 2, maybe 3 have kicked off of those referrals.

I don't care what anyone thinks about it on the internet; I'd do it again in a heartbeat and not think bad at all of the choice.

BTW,

I spent $16,000.00 with auto mechanics last year. Paid more than some chump flipping burgers for the year. Tell me why an alternator is $200 more than what I can buy it for at KOI. Markup

It's always to dwarf the hourly rate; stick it to them on the price and core charges. Homie don't roll like that; I price it "fair".

Like I said; it happens again, I'll have whole basement full of free water heaters, and since I gots my own already, I'll sell those at "discounted price" which will have them worshipping the ground I walk on, giving me cookies, softdrinks, sugary snacks while I'm sitting in their basement playin' X-box while they're getting me some G-dam pizza dammit! Hurry back!

I can't work without a free meal in me!

Customer today offered me a small bowl of ice cream, fancy that ****!
    Last edited by Cass; 02-14-2009 at 05:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RUGGED View Post

I don't care what anyone thinks about it on the internet; I'd do it again in a heartbeat and not think bad at all of the choice.

Shame on you!

An honest plumber would have looked at the warranty code on the water heater on site and told the home owner that his tank was still under warranty. The home owner could then make the choice on whether he wanted the warranty replacement tank (installed or otherwise). The home owner could have always returned the newly purchased water heater.

There ought to be a law about that. Whoops, there already is. That type of behavior can lead to license revocation and criminal prosecution in all 50 states under the criminal code!

Quote Originally Posted by RUGGED View Post

Customer today offered me a small bowl of ice cream, fancy that ****!

Hope that person liked you. Did you ever see the Sienfeld episode about that? George refused to eat the desert with "the boys", but the "boys" who ate the desert all got violently ill!
    Last edited by Cass; 02-14-2009 at 05:50 AM.

Hmmm
    A.O. Smith is one manufacturer I would be clueless about what the date code meant until I looked it up on their website or called it in...

Typical A.O. Smith S/N: MH************X

"MH" really does not translate into a date by just looking at it.

On the other hand some manufacturers are fairly easy like S/N: 1198******X for instance.

Perhaps Laddy Boy has the A.O. Smith date codes committed to memory but I doubt it...
    Given the 64K RAM that he is equipped with and the amount of useless garbage he stores for spewing out it's hardly likely...
    Last edited by Redwood; 02-14-2009 at 05:38 AM.

Default Honestly

.jbclem...Did you honestly inform your customers, when you had the auto repair business, that there were lifetime guaranteed parts that were available for and extra cost so that when their brakes wore out they didn't have to purchase pads or rotors or drums again....that way all you would charge for was labor....when the time came for replacement and the customer wouldn't have to spend the $$$ over and over again...on parts...
    Last edited by Cass; 02-14-2009 at 06:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladiesman271 View Post
    Shame on you!

An honest plumber would have looked at the warranty code on the water heater on site and told the home owner that his tank was still under warranty. The home owner could then make the choice on whether he wanted the warranty replacement tank (installed or otherwise). The home owner could have always returned the newly purchased water heater.

There ought to be a law about that. Whoops, there already is. That type of behavior can lead to license revocation and criminal prosecution in all 50 states under the criminal code!

Hope that person liked you. Did you ever see the Sienfeld episode about that? George refused to eat the desert with "the boys", but the "boys" who ate the desert all got violently ill!

You can lock me up, handcuff me with e-cuffs, I'll take the soft pink fluffy ones. You all are a bunch of thread wreckers.

A leaking water heater when a customer commits to me straining my hemmorhoids to pull it up 13 steps and over a couple others, then into my truck straining to get it in the bed, carefully without damaging carpet or tile, linoleum,

That water heater is now my property as I'm being told to haul away the old water heater.

I don't care if the customer used it as a makeshift safe and shoved $100 bills in it,

That's my property when the customer commits me to remove it, haul it away.

Honest plumber is the one who put this exact scenario up on the internet, not giving a flying **** what anyone thinks...got that?

What makes me think now is I bet I've been in this boat before and didn't check enough of them, thinking I might of passed up quite a few opportunities this way.

This makes me sad, and I could have a basement full of warrantless water heaters to keep me in the balance for every water heater replacement that turned out harder than expected.

Ehhh-yup!

Everyone please continue while I eat my bowl of ice cream waiting for more replies.

Not one person asked me how many times I've told a person that their tank is under warranty, and saved them a bundle, with them thanking me profusely and generating work because I was a plumbing commando from my office chair. Go put that in your pipe and smoke it!

(feels backside to see if swelling went down from yesterday's water heater replacement)

Oooohe, it's bad, real bad

Music while you're enjoying your wait for an apologetic response, NOT!
    Last edited by Dunbar Plumbing; 02-14-2009 at 09:17 AM.

Very interesting thread.

Rugged, the ethics of it are between you and your conscience. The legal part is simple: if you sold the original AO Smith, you committed fraud. If you didn't sell the original AO Smith, you're guilty of nothing. You simply discovered value in someone's garbage.

What I find amusing is all the whining about having to schlep the heater up the stairs. Pretty simple, either
    1. You got paid for it, did it willingly and presumably you know how much to charge for your labor, or
    2. You did it for free, in which case I'd like to hire you AND sell you some swamp land...

Didn't read anywhere about the HO putting a gun to your head to haul it away.

Quote Originally Posted by dx View Post
    Very interesting thread.

Rugged, the ethics of it are between you and your conscience. The legal part is simple: if you sold the original AO Smith, you committed fraud. If you didn't sell the original AO Smith, you're guilty of nothing. You simply discovered value in someone's garbage.

What I find amusing is all the whining about having to schlep the heater up the stairs. Pretty simple, either
    1. You got paid for it, did it willingly and presumably you know how much to charge for your labor, or
    2. You did it for free, in which case I'd like to hire you AND sell you some swamp land...

Didn't read anywhere about the HO putting a gun to your head to haul it away.

GRADE 4 And yes, I always charge $60 to haul away water heater. Never installed the original.

I was no different than the junk man checking the mfg. sticker.

Me? Have a conscious or morals? Never. I'm perfectly immoral and enjoy the stardom.

Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Blog Entries

Talking The Honor system applies...

RUGGED

it is well known throughout the industry about
    water heater warranties...

I went through this yesterday with a customer....

perhaps good will is a good thing when you install a brad white under warranty for what someone else wanted over twice for....
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know of another greeedy slob that literally tried to take 5 warranty tags into a Smith dealer and try to claim that he had 5 customers with bad waterheaters all going out at once... is that nerve or stupidity??

he even had bogus names and addresses out of the phone book for each tag.

they told him to take a hike and kept the tags....

and of course they wont let that dumbass back into the place either...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    RUGGED
    of course at this time , it is possible to fill up your whole home with them if you so choose....and you can sell one to a little old lady at a steep discount...or whatever you choose to do

eventually you will ruin it for everyone out there that
    perhaps does this only on rare occasion as a favor to someone .....

It would not be hard for every water heater comapny to simply require an address and registration for everry water heater ser# , that must be mailed in by the original customer
    state water heaters already does this ...and so does American...
    (both are junk and probably get tons back)....

but I think that they would just rather trust the plumbers.

at least untill they hear a bunch of them bragging on the
    internet about how they steal them blind every day..........

I sort of remember some saying about

"greedy pigs getting slaughtered". ........someday......

oink, oink... aaawwweeeeeeeee!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dx View Post
    Very interesting thread.

The legal part is simple, except you even got that wrong. Rugged is not the original owner of the water heater.

Quoted from the A. O. Smith Warranty

"THIS WARRANTY IS APPLICABLE TO THE ORIGINAL
    OWNER ONLY. In accordance with the warranty terms and
    conditions specified below."
    Samuel James Witwicky

Default Thanks folks, another crime spree foiled

We gottem jed!

Here's the response from the water heater police when they found out a garbage water heater was found to have a warranty, and turned in for a new one,

RUN FORREST~~!!! F**KING RUN!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by master plumber mark View Post
    RUGGED

Sounds good but I has no internets feelings. Don't care if people do this daily, all I know is I don't have to do JACK **** when I find out after the fact that the tank is under warranty and I find opportunity to provide myself hot water for the next 6 to 10 years, thanks to me.

But since everyone made a point of wrecking Terry's thread chasing me over a heater, I think I'm going to end up with a basement full of water heaters just to be as guilty as ya'll trying to make it.

Win win for me, time for a junior western bacon chee.
    Last edited by Dunbar Plumbing; 02-17-2009 at 07:25 AM.