How old is your water heater?

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I got a call yesterday, two gas water heaters, twenty years old.
Water leaking into the home past the garage wall in a Street of Dreams home.

Today, a home I plumbed twenty years ago, 65 gallon electric, leaking onto the carpet.

So.........How old is your water heater?

Some condo associations require replacement at 10 years for just that reason.
A water heater replacement is a lot cheaper than water damage.

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
Maybe 3 years old
I'm not sure the age of the one it replaced
But it failed, bottom let loose
Luckily my wife was home & shut off the water to the tank

Unluckily she never went back downstairs after shutting off the water
Water was back feeding thru the tank & still leaking

CarlH

Reaction score
Mine is almost 15 years old and has been trouble free so far. Given its age I am already looking into getting it replaced. I've been taking my time on this though. Meanwhile my mother-in-law is set up in the basement where the water heater is located and that picture that master plumber mark posted a while back keeps coming back to me. I wonder if my current heater will start to leak while she is still staying with us... Or if it will leak and make the MIL stay that much more enjoyable.

mother-in-law-from-hell.jpg

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Mine is almost 15 years old and has been trouble free so far. Given its age I am already looking into getting it replaced. I've been taking my time on this though. Meanwhile my mother-in-law is set up in the basement where the water heater is located and that picture that master plumber mark posted a while back keeps coming back to me. I wonder if my current heater will start to leak while she is still staying with us... Or if it will leak and make the MIL stay that much more enjoyable.

That picture is a lot more pleasant than this one of my ex-MIL.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Less than 2 years old.

A customer and I both didn't realize his heater was under warranty, and I instantly turned it in and got a brand new one fee of charge! He had already bought a water heater from HD so I wasn't going to spill the news.

Getting a $450 water heater for free made me feel speshal. :D Got installed instantly as well before I came up with a plan to install it, collect off the cost of the heater. Serves a better purpose being in the home.

Maddog

Engineer
Reaction score
Original 50-gal gas water heater (cheap) that came with the house lasted 11 years before leaking. Replaced it with GE/Rheem.

Macman

Reaction score
Ours was in the house when we purchased. That was 23+ years ago and the only thing I've done is try to drain sediment. I never see anything come out. I hope I don't jinx it with this post. My mom and dad built a new home a few years ago. The water heater lasted 3 years.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I installed a Reliance (made by Rheem) in 1996. This is a power vent model. I have had to replace the ignition control module twice, $100ish each time, and the dip tube once. Easy DIY repairs with some oin-line help from Rheem on the first ignition control. Other than those time, this heater has performed beautifully. Now, it does seem to me that the water in my area is less corrosive than in many other parts of the country. Galvanized pipe doesn't seem to corrode on the inside and water heaters seem to last a long time. Admittedly these are very unscientific observations, so let's not start a verbal war over them.:D

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Mine is a '98 with new anode in 2004 and I'll be putting in another soon.
Flush it twice a year.
It's part of a science project that will culminate in my homeowners insurance buying me a new carpet.

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score
Our 47 gallon GE electric is at least 4 years old, but it's only been in service for the last 3. The stoners that owned our house before we bought it had been trying to convert the detached garage into an apartment (or a party room, or something), but never figured out how to get water out of it. I don't really worry about it leaking too much; it's located in the crawlspace just inside the access door. I flush it once a year on April Fool's Day.

Ladiesman271

Homeowner
Reaction score
Less than 2 years old.

A customer and I both didn't realize his heater was under warranty, and I instantly turned it in and got a brand new one fee of charge! He had already bought a water heater from HD so I wasn't going to spill the news.

Getting a $450 water heater for free made me feel speshal. :D Got installed instantly as well before I came up with a plan to install it, collect off the cost of the heater. Serves a better purpose being in the home.

Interesting story!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

quote; Getting a $450 water heater for free made me feel speshal. :D Got installed instantly as well before I came up with a plan to install it, collect off the cost of the heater. Serves a better purpose being in the home.

Why would you feel special? I ALWAYS get a free one when it is under warranty. If you charged him for your new heater, how did you get him to return his? Sounds like you "cheated" the customer, because HE was the one entitled to the new heater, not you.
progress.gif

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
quote; Getting a $450 water heater for free made me feel speshal. :D Got installed instantly as well before I came up with a plan to install it, collect off the cost of the heater. Serves a better purpose being in the home.

Why would you feel special? I ALWAYS get a free one when it is under warranty. If you charged him for your new heater, how did you get him to return his? Sounds like you "cheated" the customer, because HE was the one entitled to the new heater, not you.

progress.gif

Interpretation for hj:

Customer calls, needs water heater replaced, calls saturday morning, already went to HD to buy his GE water heater, upset that his 6 year old heater is leaking and wants to get rid of his A.O. Smith tank because he feels it's junk.

I get there, new water heater is sitting next to old, I know the high water pressure in the area and BINGO!!! 100 pounds of pressure is partly to blame.

He opts for me to install a PRV/EXP tank along with his new heater. I do it, job done money in hand.

Get home, heater sits for 5 days because garbage day was 2 days ago. I look at the inspection sticker while I'm wrenching the scrap off the tank, and notice that the inspection says one thing, the heater's serial number is coding as "newer".

Sooooooooooooooooo, monday I call the plumbing supply house and run the numbers,

It's under warranty.

Water heater *GE* is already installed in customer's home, he's happy, I'm happy, so I'm heading to the supply house and I get my new water heater for bringing back a leaker.

Never told him about the tank, but I made sure him and his wife had VIP tickets to a fireworks celebration my plumbing company sponsors every year.

Something about that hot water feels so damn good, and I don't know why... :p

You owe me a water heater for having to splain' this out.

Send it Fedex from Arizona to Kentucky, save ya some ben franklins.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
White flag would of done well,

but he just "threw in the towel"

I made a great impression on him with the VIP tickets for the fireworks show...

Free food, front row seats which was the best spot for watching them. Of course, I was feelin' a leeeeeeeeeetle guilty but that's okay. My hemmorhoids dragged for weeks pulling all that money Ahem* er, water heater up them steps out of the basement.

"touches self to see if swelling went down"

I'm back to normal!

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I just installed a 50 Gal. State Electric 1 month ago... I hate state but the Price was free due to some one owing me so in went the State...maybe their Electrics aren't as bad as their gas models

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

Now your second problem, since you are going to install the "free" heater in someone else's home. The new heater is registered to someone else, AND it only has the remaining couple of years on its warranty. IF it goes bad within a six year period, AND the customer knows it is under warranty, YOU will be buying a "not free" water heater to replace it, and that one will have a full warranty to the homeowner, instead of the unexpired portion of the bad heater. You didn't have to 'splain anything. I just wanted to be sure I correctly understood that you had "taken" the customer. And I guess you had. I check the heater's age IMMEDIATELY to see if it is under warranty, not two days later, because it is in the recycle bin within a hour of removal.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Now your second problem, since you are going to install the "free" heater in someone else's home. The new heater is registered to someone else, AND it only has the remaining couple of years on its warranty. IF it goes bad within a six year period, AND the customer knows it is under warranty, YOU will be buying a "not free" water heater to replace it, and that one will have a full warranty to the homeowner, instead of the unexpired portion of the bad heater. You didn't have to 'splain anything. I just wanted to be sure I correctly understood that you had "taken" the customer. And I guess you had. I check the heater's age IMMEDIATELY to see if it is under warranty, not two days later, because it is in the recycle bin within a hour of removal.

To hj, with love

Gotta read my post above man! You even quoted me that I mentioned I installed it before I felt the need to put it in someone's home. I know how that warranty extension works.

If it goes bad it goes bad, I need to drain it as well. Seems like I give advice about draining them and can't take my own.

Something about that hot water make me all tingly and ****!

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks