My boiler regularly needs refilling.

Users who are viewing this thread

CG

Reaction score
My mum had central heating installed a couple of years ago but the system always seems to need refilling regularly, every couple of weeks or so. I can't see any signs of a leak anywhere so I don't really know what is going on. How often should the system need refilling?

The installer didn't give us any information about how to work the system. In fact, my mum received a government grant to have the heating installed and it was condemned before we switched it on - because the installers didn't attach a flue!! :eek:

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
. How often should the system need refilling?
You will probably need to top it up 1 time per year. Any more than that, its a leak.
It could be inside the walls, near a valve, T&P valve, (Under floor piping . This probably doesn't apply to you). Could also be leaking slightly in the boiler (this water would boil quickly and evaporate without any signs of water being there.)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Eventually, there will likely be a mineral deposit buildup where it is leaking, and it may be easier to find.

CG

Reaction score
Thanks everybody! It looks like I have got a leak somewhere then! I thought I might have.... I will go on a leak hunt at the weekend! ;)

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
It's probably a leak and one of the first places to look for it is where you top it up. Some models have a check valve to add water to the system and this can weep.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks