(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: water heater vent stack

Default water heater vent stack

I'm running a standard water heater in my garage. It's a 75 gal Brad White with a 4" vent. Do I need to run double insulated vent piping? I temporarily put it in with standard 4 inch vent, through a roof flashing with a storm collar and a cap. I'm getting it inspected and rather going through having it fail, I'd rather change it sooner than later. I have ample clearance where it passes through the roof and also through the second floor flooring.
    I'm in Michigan if that helps.

Thanks

Eric

At every point, including the roof, you must have 6" clearance in all directions to any piece of wood or drywall or other combustible material.

Default vent

Why would you even take a chance with single wall? Use double wall from the ceiling to the vent cap.

HJ,
    It wasn't a question of taking a chance with single wall, I didn't know any better. I assumed since the heater had a normal 4 inch stack on top of it, that single wall would be acceptable, leaving enough clearance around the pipe. Since I have found out differently from the inspector who was kind enough to return my phone call, I will be changing it out to double wall tomorrow. It will be inspected, I just wanted it to pass on the first inspection.

Eric

Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy12 View Post
    HJ,
    It wasn't a question of taking a chance with single wall, I didn't know any better. I assumed since the heater had a normal 4 inch stack on top of it, that single wall would be acceptable, leaving enough clearance around the pipe. Since I have found out differently from the inspector who was kind enough to return my phone call, I will be changing it out to double wall tomorrow. It will be inspected, I just wanted it to pass on the first inspection.

Eric
    It is awsome that you are having this inspected. I was just wondering did you install this heater on an 18" stand?

[QUOTE=SewerRatz;181814]It is awsome that you are having this inspected. I was just wondering did you install this heater on an 18" stand?[/QUOTE]

And another wrench is sucessfully lobbed into the works.

NH,
    Sorry to disappoint you on the wrench throwing, it is installed on an 18 inch pedestal!

Eric

Default heater

It only needs to be on a stand if it is in the garage. If the city has accepted the latest National Gas Code, and the heater has an FVIR burner, it only has to be on the stand if a car could impact it.

HJ
    The water heater is in a separate building but since it has garage doors on it, it needs to be on a pedestal. Here it also needs to be protected from impact. That means either 4 inch steel posts filled with concrete, or a wall. I chose the wall, I planned on it anyway. It is an older heater so it doesn't have the newer burner that can sit on the floor.

Eric

Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar

[QUOTE=nhmaster;181817]
    Quote Originally Posted by SewerRatz View Post
    It is awsome that you are having this inspected. I was just wondering did you install this heater on an 18" stand?[/QUOTE]

And another wrench is sucessfully lobbed into the works.
    You know me I love them there wrenches. It is what I do best.