Mobile Home Water Supply

Users who are viewing this thread

Marshall

Reaction score
Good Day One and All,

I am needing to replace the black plastic pipe that connects our mobile home to the water supply. What type of pipe should I use? Seems like a simple question but the home centers in my area haven't a clue. Just want to use a good quality pipe that is suitable for fresh water hookup. Thanks!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Sounds like polyethylene. You will need to find out exactly what it is to get proper fittings. There are many types of pipe which can be used, including PE, PVC, and copper. Get a recommendation from a contractor on what works best and is most available in your area.

Marshall

Reaction score
I could use any of those I suppose...

Thanks Jimbo,

I am replacing the line completely so I suppose I could use any of those mentioned. The existing one is just clamped onto the main that comes out of the ground with a common radiator hose clamp it appears and then again clamped in the same manner at the galvanized stub that sticks out from under the house... The whole problem is that the clamps (and a T where a hose bib is located) are rusted and broken... I'd like to put something a little better in place of it all...

Will maybe take a photo or two for you to see...

Thanks Again!

Marshall

Reaction score
An added note...

I live in North Carolina by the way and our park is on "city" water and sewer although we do not have individual meters at the home site. Each home has a pvc stub with a shut off valve sticking out of the ground...

I didn't want to use something that was not good for fresh (drinking) water, thinking that maybe some kinds of pipe weren't good for the health etc...

Thanks again!

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
PE tubing is the most frequently used water line material for potable water line underground applications. Water companies and many well water systems use it extensively.

It commonally comes in ratings of 75, 100, 125, 160 and 200 psi. I suggest 160 psi. Those hose clamps are (usually) marine grade SS, not common auto hose clamps but, they rarely fail if installed correctly. Correctly being torqued correctly and not over tightened by tightening until you can't turn the screw/bolt anymore.

PE tubing is commonally sold in rolls of 100, 200, 300, 400 and 500' at most plumbing and/or pump supply houses and some big box stores. It uses insert/barbed fittings of many types and various materials. You can get tees, els, couplers, reducing couplers, female and male adapters etc.. Materails are Nylon, sch 40 and 80 PVC, brass, lead free brass, red brass, galvanized (but all galvanized should be outlawed IMO) and SS. Underground use SS or lead free brass and then use two opposed hose clamps per fitting. Opposed means one in each direction and the screw/bolt 180 degs from the other. Above ground I'd use sch 80 PVC fittings.

Unroll/straighten out the tubing in the sun for a few minutes and then wander the tubing from side to side in the trench so you don't have expansion and/or contraction problems. No sharp edges under or over it when backfilling.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks