Determing well and pump info

Users who are viewing this thread

tkeoki

Reaction score
Moved to E. Texas and purchased an 80 yr old house 3 yrs ago and been enjoying restoring it diy style. I knew nothing about wells when I moved in, but have learned a lot since -- although the more I learn, the more there is to learn.

I have little information on my well or pump as we purchased the home through an estate sale. And looks like a well report was never done. I've tried calling the well drillers in my area but no luck there either.

I'm currently using the water for domestic use (4500sqft) and a 5ton Water to Air heat pump. Here's the info I've gathered.

4" Well
Well used to be used to provide water to 2 houses + church
Well depth--650ft
Static water level--*between 120-200ft
Draw Down--*10-50ft
Pump Level--*around 250ft
Well production--*at least 30-40gpm
Pump--1hp
Franklin Control 230v
80 gal galvanized pressure tank
Pressure currently at 40/60
Output at well house using bucket method and 1 1/4" pvc outlet with tank empty was just under 10gpm

*rough guesses from local well drillers.

I'm trying to get prepared with the information I'll need when the pump stops working to get the best/most efficient replacement setup.

1) Are there any methods to determine the important well parameters without having a well guy pull the pump? (was quoted about $1000)

2) When it comes time to replace the pump, should I re-use the existing cast iron drop pipe or put in new pvc? One well guy that came out for a different issue (stupid ant in the pressure switch contact) told me he would reuse the cast iron unless it's corroded which would be unusual with the water quality produced in the well. he loves cast iron and thinks pvc is a big downgrade at least in this area. Another one told me he'd replace it with pvc (I don't remember his reasoning).

Thanks

Speedbump

Reaction score
Your pipe is probably galvanized not cast iron. Nobody uses cast iron pipe for hanging pumps. I like the galvanized over plastic in any instance except electrolysis or a low PH in your water. Either of these two things can eat holes in the pipe and cause problems. The great thing about steel pipe is pulling the pump. It will almost always come out when it's on galvanized. Not so with plastic.

bob...

tkeoki

Reaction score
Hehe--yeah, galvanized. :eek:

If the pumps at 250ft, is it at all practical to look in to pulling it as a diy project or would it be necessary to use a well company?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
250' of 1 1/4" galv pipe full of water will weigh 732 pounds. Then add the weight of the pump and wire to that. You need a crane and good tools. If it were PVC it would only weigh 277 pounds.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks