(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Another double vanity sink drain question

Default Another double vanity sink drain question

Doing some planning for an upcoming double vanity sink (ie bath sinks)..... I am planning 2 separate drains that meet in 1 1/2 inch horizontal pipe. Is this acceptable for code purposes? How many DFUs is a double vanity sink?

Default drains

Your code would have to determine whether it can be done. Personally, I would not do it unless it is a 2" line. In addition, HOW you connect them to the horizontal line will determine whether it is proper or not.

Default double vanity sink

Hate to butt in but I am running into the same problem, tying the (new) second sink into a 2.0 horizontal waste running about 6 feet from the first sink to a 3.0 waste(down to basement/vent thru the roof. Tying in the second sink between the first sink and the 3.0 wast/vent. I believe the first sink also has a vent a couple of feet from it tying into the same 3.0 waste/vent.
    Would I use a wye to tie the second sink in?
    Thanks
    Chuck

Last edited by Terry; 01-14-2011 at 05:30 PM.

Default drain

The first sink having a vent ANYWHERE, or there being a vent where it ties in is immaterial to your NEW sink. It needs a vent and neither of the existing ones may be suitable for it. The type of fitting, and where it goes, will depend on factors that we cannot tell without more information or at least a picture.