Adding new jet tub to 3 piece basement bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

tfrancis

Reaction score
As part of our basement renovation we plan to add a jet tub to our basement bath. The shower rough in has a trap under the concrete. We did plan to elevate the floor under the shower and tub, can I run the tub drain to the shower drain (seperate p-traps)? If so do I need to remove the existing trap? am I better off to break the concrete at the shower drain and across to the new tub drain to tie in?

Attachments

• bath.jpg
    bath.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 637

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Each fixture needs its own trap AND vent. A tub drain may only be 1.5", but a shower requires a 2" drain and trap.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tub

according to your drawing, you need a lot more than just a drain pipe and trap for the tub. It is too far to install without its own vent, and you cannot connect to the shower's trap.

tfrancis

Reaction score
Thanks for the repy
I figured I would need a seperate vent. I guess I'm probably best to break the concrete at the toilet (the main is inside a wall) & go across the room then, for the vent I can run up to the bottom of the joists and across to tie into the vent stack.
Should I put the p-trap for the tub under the concrete or above?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Unless you have an unusual tub, there won't be room to have it above the floor surface. But, most of the time, people leave an open section cutout in the floor. It needs to be big enough to angle things to make the final connections.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks