(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kitchen faucet bangs

Default Kitchen faucet bangs

when ever we turn on our kitchen sink faucet it , for lack of a different word, goes bang when first turned on. It's worse and does it multiple times if I use the Brita filter option. It's not loud but is noticable No leaks underneath the sink and doesnt do it any oter faucet in our home, just the kitchen sink

Mechanical engineer in marketing. Uhuh. quinocampa's Avatar

Hammer arresters are water accumulators plumbed into the copper piping near the point of use to cushion the sudden stopping of water flow. I thought it was only a phenomenon when shutting off the faucet, not turning it on? Your problem is when you open the faucet valve?
    Daniel
    Last year's bathroom remodel -- Plumbing's working GREAT! Thanks TL Forums!

Is it single handle or 2 handles.?

If its 2 handles, you may have to change the cartridges

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Assuming this sink has a spray attachment, it could be the divertor might be sticking and jamming closed when yo uturn on the water. See what the pros say. What brand and model? Might be good to post a picture.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

First sorry I didnt get right back to you guys, seemed I had "email notification" not set

Anyhow it's a KOHLER K-10412 SINGLE LEVER KITCHEN SINK FAUCET. It ONLY bangs when water is turned ON.

We recently moved into this home with the faucet already there. It did it a little then but didnt think too much of it. I recently replaced "O" rings, bearings , and the cartrige in Nov '08 due to it leaking. Now getting to "little things" around here and want to know how to fix this issue.

This bang you get...
    Is it the same sound as when you use the sprayer?

BEFORE turning on the water , THIS time I picked up the sprayer , squeezed the trigger THEN turned on the water. NO BANG. just a slight double bang when sprayer trigger released. For the next 2 mins when I went to turn the water on for the regular nozle.........NO BANG AT ALL

NOW 10 mins later and STILL cannot get faucet to bang but still get slight double bang when sprayer trigger released

oh ya you asked if same bang origianl bang hard and very noticible and only 1 bang as water turned on. The double ang when sprayer used is faint and 2 bangs it seems
    Last edited by BRUCEY100; 02-01-2009 at 12:31 PM. Reason: forgot to add last paragraph

Check your sprayer and hose for leaks.
    I believe what you are calling a bang is the diverter valve filling the sprayer hose when you turn on the faucet.

So you belive the sprayer diverter is going bad?

No I believe that the pressure inside the sprayer line is draining down causing the diverter to do what it is supposed to do when you turn on the faucet.

Leakdown? wheres the water going? How then do I fix this. Its the first faucet to do this and its anoying

Redwood..........Thank YOU

Is the connection fron the hose to the sprayer leaking?
    Is the sprayer leaking?
    It doesn't take much.

Just checked and no leaking with faucet on or sprayer on. Also when sprayer was on I moved the hose around to see if it leaked. No water detected

It may just be going back through the diverter.

think then the divereter is going south???