well water pressure varies

Users who are viewing this thread

Kers

Reaction score
I'm a first time well owner. Shower pressure is great for a minute, dies down and then acts like it builds back up to good pressure again then cycle continues.

With no water running gage reads 32 lbs and Well-X-Trol tank pressure is 30 lbs. Start water and gage increases to 50, jumps to 60 for a second, back to 50 where tank is then 45lbs. As the water is running the gage presure drops back down to 32lbs and then goes back up to 50lbs. This cycle continue in about a minute or so.

I checked and No water come out of the tank's air valve. Any ideas?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The fact that your pressure gauge is jumping around means that either the gauge is bad or there is debris in the inlet, or both. There is nothing in the system that should prevent the gauge from moving smoothly.

I would start diagnosing your pressure problem by first making sure the gauge is working properly. Then drain the water from the tank and measure what the air pressure is in the bladder.

Kers

Reaction score
the gage drops / increase at the same time the water pressure does, so I'm not sure it's the gage. Where are inlet screens located?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The gauge might be ok, and it surely is not causing the problem with your system, BUT, you cannot properly set the air pressure in the tank unless the gauge nearest the pressure switch is working perfectly. If the gauge is only a couple of psi off, it will prevent you from properly checking and/or adjusting your tank air pressure. A new gauge is about $10.

There are not likely to be any inlet screens.

Don't hesitate to get this fixed ASAP if you plan on using your water.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A cycle from 30 to 50 PSI in about a minute sounds normal. If it were happening in a few seconds, your tank would be the problem. This normal pressure swing of 30 to 50 in about a minute is aggravating for shower pressure. Doubling the size of pressure tank will just make it take two minutes to swing from 30 to 50 and back again. This is why so many people are switching to a constant pressure system. A Cycle Stop Valve on that system would still allow the pressure to drop to 30 so the pressure switch can start the pump. Then the CSV would hold a steady 40 PSI for as long as you are in the shower. When you finally turn off the shower, the CSV will allow the tank to fill at 1 GPM until it reaches 50 PSI and the pressure switch shuts off the pump. The constant pressure in the shower is much more enjoyable than the constantly changing pressure of a standard pressure tank and switch. Constant pressure will also let your washing machine and dish washer fill faster. It will deliver a perfect pattern for sprinklers, reduce the size tank required, and make everything in your pump system last longer.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A CSV is very easy to install. It just goes in the water line before the pressure tank or before any water lines tee off.

Attachments

• csv1 and tank edited.JPG
    csv1 and tank edited.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 18,127
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks