Wayne's Genius Switch Isn't That Smart

Users who are viewing this thread

bob tenthousand

Reaction score
Yesterday I installed a "Big Dog" backup pump and am pleased with it.

Last week I replaced my primary pump with a Coleman 1/3 HP. Upon testing it again after the Big Dog install, it failed to pump. After trying to fix it I decided to write it off. I purchased if off **** at a steep discount and got what I paid for.

I decided to buy a Wayne 3/4 hp with the new Genius Switch. It's going back to the store today. Hopefully they will refund my money or replace it with one that has a standard float switch. Otherwise I will remove the Genius Switch and replace it with a float switch and write it all off to experience.

The Genius Switch isn't smart enough to tell when the pit is empty. On top of that, the 3/4 hp motor makes the loudest sucking sound in an empty pit you have ever heard. What a piece of junk.

Does anyone else have experience with the Wayne Genius Switch?

(Fortunately, my wife works for a company that sells Big Dog Pumps and we got ours for over $100 off normal retail. This savings is, basically, paying for my problem with the primary pump.)

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Wayne Pumps are probably no better that the Coleman, maybe even worse.

Shop somewhere like Grainger or a real plumbing supply house. I would look for a Zoeller, which is perhaps the best pump on the market.

http://www.zoeller.com

Bubb1957

Reaction score
I agree that Zoellers are one of the best, but I would still recommend a seperate switch, as with many other manufacturers the switches are still the weak link.

bob tenthousand

Reaction score
Going To Try A Champion with Rhombus Float Switch

SewerRatz,

Thank you for your reply.

The primary pump I am replacing is a 9 year old 1/3 HP Hydromatic with a diaphragm switch. The pump still works but I thought 9 years is a little old and I didn't want to have a replace it under duress. Given all the problems I have had, I am happy to know a lot more about sump pumps than I did a few weeks ago. The Hydromatic will become a spare pump.

Given your experience with Hydromatic sump pumps, what is a reasonable life expectancy? I mostly have just spring and summer rains to worry about. The pit is dry for at least 6 months of the year.

Also, I just bought a Champion 1/3 HP. It uses a SJE Rhombus float switch that can be easily replaced via 1 bolt and has about 40gpm capacity at 10 feet. In fact, that switch is so neat that, out of the box, it was in the wrong place to easily fit in my pit. I just loosened it, rotated it about 60 degrees, and tightened it down again. It should be a perfect fit. I got it from a plumbing house. The seller said he likes these better than Zoeller & Hydromatic and has carried both of them in the past.

I hope this is finally it.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
SewerRatz,

Thank you for your reply.

The primary pump I am replacing is a 9 year old 1/3 HP Hydromatic with a diaphragm switch. The pump still works but I thought 9 years is a little old and I didn't want to have a replace it under duress. Given all the problems I have had, I am happy to know a lot more about sump pumps than I did a few weeks ago. The Hydromatic will become a spare pump.

Given your experience with Hydromatic sump pumps, what is a reasonable life expectancy? I mostly have just spring and summer rains to worry about. The pit is dry for at least 6 months of the year.

Also, I just bought a Champion 1/3 HP. It uses a SJE Rhombus float switch that can be easily replaced via 1 bolt and has about 40gpm capacity at 10 feet. In fact, that switch is so neat that, out of the box, it was in the wrong place to easily fit in my pit. I just loosened it, rotated it about 60 degrees, and tightened it down again. It should be a perfect fit. I got it from a plumbing house. The seller said he likes these better than Zoeller & Hydromatic and has carried both of them in the past.

I hope this is finally it.

I have pulled out Hydromatics that where 20+ years old. The DA-1's I usely see them last anywhere from 7 to 15 years. Switches are first thing to go on any pump. What I always liked about the Hydromatic is its one bolt switch design, the old switch comes off and new one goes on.

Last edited:

bob tenthousand

Reaction score
follow up on original post

In case anyone wondered, the 1/3 HP Champion sump pump is a winner. Easy install, SJE Rhombus vertical float switch, 40 gpm at 10 feet, and quiet. The company is not as well known as Zoeller or Hydromatic, but their pumps rule. Apparently they are only sold to plumbers and are advertised as 'commercial quality'. I got mine from a plumber I had done business with in the past. They claim they like these pumps better for installation in sump pump pits. For bigger applications, they use a variety of manufacturers.

I'm going to try to get a replacement for my defective Coleman pump. It is supposed to have a limited lifetime warranty and was barely used. I have to work through Coleman Pumps. If they do, I'll either keep it as a spare on the shelf or give to a local charity.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
In case anyone wondered, the 1/3 HP Champion sump pump is a winner. Easy install, SJE Rhombus vertical float switch, 40 gpm at 10 feet, and quiet. The company is not as well known as Zoeller or Hydromatic, but their pumps rule. Apparently they are only sold to plumbers and are advertised as 'commercial quality'. I got mine from a plumber I had done business with in the past. They claim they like these pumps better for installation in sump pump pits. For bigger applications, they use a variety of manufacturers.

I'm going to try to get a replacement for my defective Coleman pump. It is supposed to have a limited lifetime warranty and was barely used. I have to work through Coleman Pumps. If they do, I'll either keep it as a spare on the shelf or give to a local charity.

Call me a sceptic...
I'll stick with Zoeller thamks!

dynamicsgroup

Reaction score
Zoeller

My cast iron Zoeller was very poor. The unit is fairly new but the switch failure is brutal. Discussing this with Zoeller was useless. He started calculating cycles on the phone and told me that the failure rate was relatively normal. The switch is made by Eaton and it's junk.

My Wayne with the Switch Genius is also a pile! I bought it Friday and it cavitates for 5-10 seconds after emptying. The noise is incredible.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
My last Zoeller was 16 years old and still pumping when I replaced it with the same model (which was much quieter).

I have never had any switch issues, but then again mine only pumps when it rains.

It was the first time I realised why "Made in America" might actually mean something.

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Are there any other "Made in America" gems that I may be missing.

No, not the cars thank you, but other accessories for the house that are outstanding quality?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks