Neo-round shower recommendation needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Dprocket

Reaction score
I am looking for some feedback from any who has worked with any of these shower units I'm considering.

I originally purchased an AquaGlass 34" Round shower unit. After reading reviews from the Lowes website very concerned that this unit is a piece of crap. Their major competitor sells an identical until under the American Shower and Bath label. I've talked to employees of at both of these companie that have told me they see few issues with them. I'm concerned that the base seems too flimsly (it used a Styrofoam mold under the base to give it support).

I'm now considering the Keystone by Maax Magnolia neo-round unit. It looks to be of better quality, but have also heard some poor reviews on the base of this unit as it has self-leveling metal supports that I'm told do not work well.

Can anyone provide feedback from working with either of these units?

I plan to install the shower in a basement, on top of a level surface...I'm going to tile, then lay a bed of mortar and set the base in the mortar. Based on my size and space limitations, it really does have to be one of these neo-round units....a even a 32x32 square would not work for my space.

If you have any feedback, please share. This is NOT a project that I want to re-do.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Unless that shower will only be used by children, it won't be a very comfortable thing, it's too small. No experience with them, so can't say what their quality is.

Dprocket

Reaction score
thanks for your reply...

and comment regarding the size the of the shower. As was previously mentioned, I'm putting this shower in a very small area and am very limited on options.

So, back to the subject, does anyone have any feedback on either of these showers?

bgfkmk

Reaction score
Round shower

We installed an aquaglass round shower an the only problem i am having is the calking,does any one know why 100% silicone isnt recomended and what else can be used,bgfkmk

kvanderstel

Reaction score
34" round from lowes and I'm about to install it. I too have a small space to work with and I drove myself crazy trying to find the right kit. I previously installed a unit from https://www.sterlingplumbing.com/ and I loved it, no caulking or sealants, but that was a 5' shower not a corner unit.

I too have my doubts about this aquaglass, but I love the style and round design. I ripped out my previous shower stall that had a very expensive glass door. When I removed the frame from the wall it had, hidden, some gray sticky adhesive behind the frame rails sandwiched against the wall. It was applied with manufactured strips it didn't come out of tube. I thought this is great stuff, where can I get more? No mold, no black junk living on the caulking.

There is some gray material that was used in the automotive world to seal heater blower assemblies under the dash of older cars, it's non-hardening and repels water. I'm using this where the wall panels screw together and behind the metal frames that screw to the wall. Thus avoiding the use of caulking from a tube. I hate that stuff, looks great when new, but yucky after a while and it ALWAYS turns moldy.

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
shower

How about some details? If a 34" round unit will fit, why wouldn't a 32" two wall, or a larger Neo-Angle, a "neo arc", unit work? As a practical matter round ones actually take up more "usable" space than angular ones.

dons

Reaction score
Any one else have a good story on 34" round shower kits

Also interested in feedback. Looked at both Aqua glass and the Home depot version and both seem very low quality. The aqua glass in particular couldn't have any worse feedback than what customers have posted on the lowes sight.

I am space constrained too and looking 34 (optimum) - 36 (max which makes things crowded) round corner unit. Looking for high quality too. If I can't go round I'll explore angled but round offers a lot more space inside the unit.

Thx,
Don

nottartsrob

Reaction score
I purchased this aquaglass 34" shower little more than 3 years ago from a local big box store. Installed it following instructions exactly. Absolutely loved it for the first 6 months. It is spacious for its size and fit perfect in my little bathroom. After about 6 months, it started to stains a little. Also, the design of the door makes cleaning it hard especially in the many nooks and groves along places it connects to the rails. After about a year, the base cracked. We patched it and then it cracked in another place. We patched that and it cracked again. I finally ripped it out to find many more cracks that weren't visible from the top. This was in a bath in the upper level of my house so water leaked down to the lower floor and damaged the structure of my house. I am now in the middle of a $15,000 repair to fix the damage this shower caused.

It wasn't all bad though. On the positive side, aquaglass replaced the base under warranty. It only took 3 months of harassing them. Even then, though, they wouldn't cover the labor to reinstall it. This was before I discovered the water damage. There's no way now I would put it back in. I'm looking at the Maxx 36" shower now. It appears to be much nicer and I think it will fit in the space.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks