OK For Irrigation System To Bypass Pressure Tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

htrimble

Reaction score
My irrigation system (18 zones) bypasses my pressure tank -- it runs directly off the feed from the well pump. The system runs for about 2 hours a day.

Will this setup burn out the pump in my well?

Should I have the irrigation system connected after the pressure tank?

Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pump

Where it is physically connected may not be a factor. If there is no check valve between the tank and your system then it is the same as if it were connected after the tank. If there is a check valve then the pump should not turn on until something in the house depletes the pressure so the pump can start. If you have the system wired somehow so that the pump can be operated when the irrigation system starts, then the question would be whether the pump can maintain pressure or if the pump can "overwhelm" the system and build up excessive pressure. Excessive pressure would be detrimental. Not having adequate capacity to maintain the irrigation system's pressure would cause a gradual loss in efficiency.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What may be a bigger issue is if the sprinkler system has an anti-siphon valve in it. If not, then it is possible to contaminate your drinking water with stagnent water from the yard full of pesticides, fertilizer, and any little critters that grow in water. As long as the pump can keep up with the volume and doesn't run dry, it should work. My unprofessional opinion.

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
In our area we run irrigation pumps flat out, no tank, no pressure switch. However, not connected to any other water system.

Paul

Last edited:

htrimble

Reaction score
Thanks for the Feedback

Thanks for the feedback -- I'll check in the anti-siphon value question.

Harvey

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks