(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: New bath tie in

Default New bath tie in

I am splicing into a 3" pvc waste drain, which is rigidly fixed on both ends. A pvc fitting would difficult if not impossible to install. Is a neoprene fernco ok to use?

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

They make repair couplings which don't have a stop in them, but assuming this is not underground, you need no-hub connectors if you don't use a repair coupling. A repair coupling requires a bit of skill and speed, or it will set before you get everything in place. No-hub connectors are thin neoprene rubber sleeve with a metal reinforcement sleeve over top and the hose clamps to hold things together. The reinforcement keeps the ends of the pipes aligned. The all rubber fitting can be used underground because you are supposed to properly support the pipe when backfilling with sand or dirt which should keep the ends aligned.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Default tub

I am concerned that if you do not know the proper way to make the connection, whether the rest of the piping will be done properly, such as an approved vent and no "S" traps.

Default fernco

come on guys it is a simple question Yes "hj" is OK to use a fern co or mission band or a rubber coupling. just make sure that your repair is shaded and compacted before you back fill.
    I hope my answer help and i hope is not too late

take care

A JACKETED fernco, yes. Just a plain rubber one, no.
    Master Plumber Mark:

there is nothing better than the
    manly smell of WD 40 in the air
    while banging away on brass with a chisel and hammer...

it smells like......victory......

do not hit your thumb...

Default coupling

Yes "hj" is OK to use a fern co or mission band or a rubber coupling.

if you are referring to the rubber sleeve with two hose clamps, the typical Fernco coupling, then it is NOT permitted here, or most places, ANYWHERE inside the building.