Hot water faucet in bath working fine until yesterday

Users who are viewing this thread

Linden

Reaction score
I just moved into a home built in the 1920's that I am renting. A new diverter faucet was installed on the clawfoot bathtub by the landlord's handyman (this is the same handyman that installed a new kitchen faucet and bathroom sink faucet). The bathtub faucet was installed exactly 2 weeks ago. Here are some of the details regarding the faucet "HEAVY chrome plated all metal faucet. It has all brass waterways and a built in diverter spout. 3-3/8" mounting. It has a 3/8" female swivel attachment on top to connect to a riser for a shower connection, and it also comes with a 1/2" male adapter (not pictured) which enables you to attach a hand shower hose in place of the riser." I can't find a name brand on the faucet.

After installation and until last night, water pressure and volume from the hot and cold side was excellent. When I turned on the hot faucet last night a small amount of water came out and then diminished into a drip. I turned the faucet off and on repeatedly with no improvement, waited several minutes and tried again with no improvement. I waited an hour and tried again with no improvement. I checked the hot water faucets on the kitchen and bath sinks and both work fine. Also, the hot water faucet in the tub seems to be tighter than it was, meaning the faucet is harder to turn on and off. There has been no change in the cold water pressure or volume.

This morning I found the same problem. I turned on the water, just a little came out and then close to nothing. The hot faucet was more difficult to turn than the cold. I turned the hot water faucet on and off several times thinking that maybe there was some kind of pressure build-up in the faucet that was the problem. This seemed to work and I was able to get a good flow of hot water, enough to fill up the tub (not the volume and pressure of the flow I had been experiencing for the past 2 weeks, but sufficient). When I turned off the faucet after the tub was filled, I turned on the hot water faucet again to see if it would work and absolutely no water came out.

I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to remedy this problem before I call the landlord and have her schedule the handyman to come out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks