Gluing ABS pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

daz49

Reaction score
My question is about 3" ABS pipe
l've roughed in my toilet 12" from the finished drywall. l now want to install tiles and therefore need another 5/8". l have yet to secure the toilet flange to the sub floor and therefore can pull the flange 5/8 from the wall which in turn is bending the 3" pipe and connections running from the flange to the main stack about 4' away. So my question is will this stress on the glued ABS joints over time loosen and start to leak?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is a very common misconception that ABS and PVC pipes are "glued" together. The process that joins them is very similar to welding steel. The process is done chemically and is called solvent welding. The so-called glue is actually a solvent that briefly melts the top surfaces of the pipe and fitting and allows the two surfaces to combine when the joint is assembled. Then the surfaces harden and the joint is complete. While ABS and PVC are different chemically and require their own solvents, the process is essentially the same. Your joints will be fine. The main thing is when assembling the pipes, don't move a joint for a minute or so after assembly so that the solvents can set without cracking.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks