(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Misc Residentual Code Questions

Just goes to show there's the NEC and there's the local interpretation and amendments. The AHJ held me to 4 feet total length and the receptacle had to be under the sink.

I do appreciate the clarification as to current NEC requirements, however.

Thanks Chris.
    Last edited by sjsmithjr; 01-30-2009 at 02:43 PM.
    -Sam Smith
    Licensed Professional Geologist - AL, TN, KY

Quote Originally Posted by sjsmithjr View Post
    Just goes to show there's the NEC and there's the local interpretation and amendments. The AHJ held me to 4 feet total length and the receptacle had to be under the sink.

I do appreciate the clarification as to current NEC requirements, however.

Thanks Chris.
    People make mistakes, nobody is perfect, but I do try to educate.... glad you learned something today.

Default consider a feeder..

If I could redo my complete house rewire, I would use a feeder and put a panel near the kitchen. In fact, I will likely do this this summer. This feeder is a 240vac line, at least 10awg, better 8 awg. You can then run seperate ckts to each appliance, without having to pull the ckts all the way from the main service panel. 30A or 50A will never be used at the same time, so do some thinking on what you can expect to be the most appliances on at one time. Balance the load by putting the ckts strategically on both legs. So microwave on one leg, refrig on the other, as these two are most likely to be on at the same time.

Extreme DIY Homeowner Scuba_Dave's Avatar

That can depend on the kitchen & where the main panel is located
    I don't like a panel in the kitchen anywhere near a sink (in the room)
    Something about the wife having dripping wet hands & kicking out a breaker & going to turn it back on...or a child
    My panel is only about 5' away under the kitchen
    I could see this (sub panel) for a big kitchen
    DIY Handyman (not 4 hire)
    I have enough to do to my own house

Luckily my panel is actually fairly close to the kitchen, about 6-8' down a half flight of stairs, so running wires will be easy.

IF my fridge and d/w are on the same circuit as other receptacles they won't be on the same circuit as each either.

Right now, the fridge is on the same circuit as the m/w, some basement receptacles and some bedroom receptacles. I even think it might be on the same circuit as the upstairs bath, but I haven't confirmed that. I just know the previous owner had told me if his wife ran the hairdryer and the microwave at the same time the breaker would trip..... Haven't had that, but I've also changed the panel from a tiny 60amp panel to a large 200amp panel.

The toaster and microwave DO trip the circuit....