Moen spout

Users who are viewing this thread

NAV

Reaction score
My plumber came today to replace 10 year old Moen tub/shower fixtures with new Moen fixtures. He replaced the shower head. He replaced the handle and back plate. He did not replace the spout. He said I had copper pipes and the spout was for galvanized pipes. He said he was going to go buy a new diverter that would fit on copper pipes. Does this make any sense to anyone out there?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
There are a multitude of different styles of connections for tub spouts. Your original spout may have been a Moen brand, included with the valve set, or it may have been separately supplied. In any event, he said it was the "slip-on" design, no threads, it just slips over a copper pipe. And the spout included with your new trim set was threaded. There may be a way to adapt your copper stub out for a threaded spout, but the easier solution is to simply get a new slip-on.

moen-3931-terrylove-01.jpg

moen-3931-terrylove-02.jpg

Made for copper pipe with an O-Ring seal.

Last edited by a moderator:

C NUMB

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.ericsmithplumbing.com
There are different spouts made today, some slip on with a hex screw to tighten to copper or cpvc and others have treaded connections. If the spouts are Moen and the same length you might be able to unscrew the slip assembly out of the old and install into the new spout, but pending age it may break.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It takes some careful measuring to have a screw-on spout get tight enough to stay where you want it, not leak, and be tight against the wall. He just didn't want to take the time to do it. He would have had to measure, cut the existing pipe fairly exactly, then solder on a threaded fitting, then attach the spout. It's much faster to just slip it on and tighten the setscrew. Not very professional in my opinion. The set you bought may come with either a screw-on or slip-on spout...probably different part numbers on the kit, but the trim is probably the same.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks