Sanitary Tee on its back...

Users who are viewing this thread

Zxed

Reaction score
I installed a sanitary tee on its back.... why? because the pieces i was cutting out and replacing (had to move the drain) were installed the same way..

it is a shower drain., 2"., you see a 3" drain further back for the toilet.

water drains from right to left., the vertical part of the san tee is for venting...

someone suggested that using the san tee on its back is illegal... but there is no way i can fit a wye in there... thoughts?

Attachments

• drain2.jpg
    drain2.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 3,755

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If that is a vent it is flat vented and that is a no no...

If it is not a vent then the T should not be there...

Zxed

Reaction score
the top is for vent., so yes it is flat vented for about 2' and then goes into a vertical vent...

any suggestions as to what can be done?

the main vent that goes up into the attic is on the right side of the shower drain... the drains exit downwards on the left side of the room...

prior to the bathremodel... which included breaking the wall between the closet and bath... the shower(tub) and toilet drain were to the right side of the vertical vents... there isnt enough room to move things around and i cant cut the floor joists :(

TedL

Reaction score
Rework the shower drain line so that it connects at the point where your vent transitions from horizontal to vertical. In other words, move the connection point the 2 ft. to the right that you mention. There, you'll be able to use a Tee, and be rid of the flat vent. I had to do basically the same thing cleaning up the inspected work of a plumber used by the previous owner of my house.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tee

It would have been easy before you put everything together so tightly. The Y on its back with a street 1/8 bend turned horizontal would have been easier to use. But there may be a more pressing problem if that fitting just visible to the right of the tee is also rising before it gets to the trap. IF so then it is creating a 3/4 "S" trap and that is more illegal, and a bigger problem, than the san tee on its back.

Iminaquagmire

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
HJ is right. I didn't even notice that. Move your wye and 1/8 bend on the 3" down closer to the shower drain and rotate it up. Put your vent tee in and run your P trap directly to it. Then you just have to figure out the vent connection to the old vent line.

Zxed

Reaction score
HJ is right. I didn't even notice that. Move your wye and 1/8 bend on the 3" down closer to the shower drain and rotate it up. Put your vent tee in and run your P trap directly to it. Then you just have to figure out the vent connection to the old vent line.

well., maybe this is a better question., itll be a bit hard to explain

does a vent have to be after the p-trap?

can i have (from right to left)., vent., 90 deg elbow., tee or wye., conncted to p-trap., then continues ....

here is a sketch of whats been done., there are approx 5"-9" between the borrom of the floor joist and the ceiling (below)

attachment.php

Last edited:

Zxed

Reaction score
some more pics

Attachments

• drain1.jpg
    drain1.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,659
  • drain2.jpg
    drain2.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 2,369
  • drain3.jpg
    drain3.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,522
  • drain4.jpg
    drain4.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,540

Zxed

Reaction score

your are all over the place :) you posted on the JB forum as well :)

Zxed

Reaction score
It would have been easy before you put everything together so tightly. The Y on its back with a street 1/8 bend turned horizontal would have been easier to use. But there may be a more pressing problem if that fitting just visible to the right of the tee is also rising before it gets to the trap. IF so then it is creating a 3/4 "S" trap and that is more illegal, and a bigger problem, than the san tee on its back.

i see what you are saying about an s trap being created., but... it isnt as S... for ex., in the attached image., it goes straight down..

in mine., the P trap is connected to a 1/8 bend down., then a straight., then a 1/8 to correct the prior down and tilt it towards the waste... which then connects to the tee....

do i need to post better pics?

Attachments

• pbdrb11a.jpg
    pbdrb11a.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 1,553

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
trap

That is why I called it a 3/4 "S" trap because it goes at a 45 instead of down, but it is still an "S" trap, and it is still illegal and a bad idea even if it were not. Your top drawing is the correct and best way, BUT the trap has to go directly to the vent without turning down. Once it passes the vent you can turn it anyway you want to.

Zxed

Reaction score
thanks HJ

hmm., in order to remove both the 3/4 s trap and the flat vent., what i could do., is., have the ptrap go from left to right (away from the waste wye), towards the vent, have it connect to the vent with a wye, then use a 180 deg elbow? ( is its called a U?.,) .. so that i can go back towards the wye that you see in the picture.,.,

would a p-trap., into a straight + wye (vent) + straight + 180 deg elbow (turning around AND down) + straight., into wye in pic ? work?!>

GabeS

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
I'm not a plumbing pro, but you'd probably want to avoid using 180 degree turns. You're making it too difficult for the waste to flow properly.

It may almost seem that reframing may need to be done, or notching and then reinforcing.

Zxed

Reaction score
I'm not a plumbing pro, but you'd probably want to avoid using 180 degree turns. You're making it too difficult for the waste to flow properly.

It may almost seem that reframing may need to be done, or notching and then reinforcing.

How about a 90 1 ft straight and then another 90... Giving the 180 a lil stretch

Zxed

Reaction score
i have been wondering why i created the 3/4 s trap in the first place.....

i was up there and noticed the old 1.5" p-trap that had been removed... turns out., that one was als a 3/4 s-trap., which is probably what i was replicating.,

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
ddrain

Your idea of a "U" bend is bad, but we would have to be there so we could see the entire situation to determine the best option. Your pictures do not give us enough information about the area to make a decision.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks