(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: User review on CST454CEFG 2 piece TOTO Drake II, Gwenyth, Owner comments and pictures

My wife is not a fan of the standard THU068 lever for our new Drake II, she feels is it extremely cheap feeling. Is there a replacement that I can use on the toilet that would feel more solid either from Toto or someone else?

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes, there are plenty of cheap side mount handles, and then there are the expensive ones for side mount too.
    Handles are pretty generic, and choices are many if you shop at a plumbing supply store with all the catalogs.
    It's all a matter of taste and preference.

Last edited by Terry; 07-03-2013 at 01:14 PM.

Thanks. I was concerned that my selection was limited because I read that Toto's lever hookup was proprietary. So it's actually standard and any side lever will work? There aren't many that claim they work on Toto.

Blog Entries

If they have a brass rod, the rod can be bent as needed.
    Though the lever that comes with the Drake is fine. I don't see a problem with it.
    It fits my thumb very well, and it's a fairly easy lift. I've seen some brands that require a lot of effort.

Is it true that toilet seats have to be bought separately for Toto toilets?

No, that is not true. There are only two sizes of seats sold in the US, either regular (round) or the elongated. Any elongated seat sold in the US will fit on any elongated bowl.
    Many of my customers use the Bemis and Church seats. You can also use Kohler and American Standard seats if you wish. Terry

If we remove the seats from our old toilets, can we use them on the new Toto Drake toilets and save the expense of buying them from Toto?

The old seats are a generic Bemis model (elongated) that lower slowly silently, and are still in good condition.
    Last edited by Terry; 10-07-2011 at 10:43 AM.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

The only thing you may notice with using a different seat than a Toto on a Toto toilet (and this is true for any brand toilet), is that the colors may not perfectly match (but should be close), and the shape may not perfectly match, but again, would be close.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

DIY Junior Member chickenwarrior's Avatar

Hello,
    I have read posts on Terry's sites for years, but the time has finally come to purchase a new toilet and I had a couple of questions. I have read every post and review on every toilet I am interested in and have narrowed it down to the Drake II or Ultramax II. The question I have is about the part number for the Drake II. (I'll ask my Ultramax question on that thread.) CST454CEFG seems to be used for several things. I did read where the Drake II replaced the Gwenyth, so that clarifies that. But when I search online I see that the Drake II is offered with the "E+" flush or sometimes it doesn't mention the flush type at all. I am holding in my hand right now the brochure I was given yesterday by my local Platinum Dealer for Toto that lists the Drake II CST454CEFG with the E+ Flush. I do not want this. This forum indicates as well as the Toto website, that the Drake II has the "C2" double cyclone flush, which is what I want. So is E+ a misprint, or an option, or an older model? Considering that same part number is used for an older Gwenyth as well, I am unsure. I don't want to order a Drake II expecting a C2 flush and get an E+ instead. So if I order today, 12/9/11, a CST454CEFG Drake II can I expect to receive a C2 flush? Thanks.

Blog Entries

The CST454CEFG Drake II is listed this way

C = Cyclone flush (Double Cyclone)
    E = 1.28 gallons per flush
    F = Universal Height bowl
    G = Sanagloss

DIY Junior Member chickenwarrior's Avatar

Default Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    The CST454CEFG Drake II is listed this way

C = Cyclone flush (Double Cyclone)
    E = 1.28 gallons per flush
    F = Universal Height bowl
    G = Sanagloss
    That was what I was hoping but wanted to make for sure. When you are using mail order for a toilet, you want it to be right the first time!

I am working my way through remodeling my house. I bought this toilet (CST454CEFG) 1.5 years ago, then it took a while to get around to installing it due to various problems with the remodel. Anyway, now that its installed, I love the look and the powerful flush, and the low water consumption.

However, I find that it gets skid marked almost every time you do a 2. I asked my roommate about it (to be sure it wasn't just my diet or something), and he said that he has the same problem. He spends a lot of time at his girlfriend's house, and said that he rarely has this problem on her fairly low end American Standard 1.6gpf (he couldn't remember the model). So it seems that there might be some issue with this particular toilet?

For this kind of money, I expect the toilet to rinse pretty well.

I've been living with it for a while now, just assuming that maybe it was me or that 1.28gpfs just can't be expected to do better than this, or something, but all the reviews I've read here and elsewhere seem to be pretty positive in this regard. Now, I am ready to buy a toilet for my powder room, where most of my guests will be using the toilet, and don't want a repeat of the problems I've had with my other one.

So, is there any recourse on the previous toilet (bought in June 2011 I believe, but only used for maybe 6 months so far), and any recommendations or advice for my powder room toilet? I was thinking of getting an Aquia, but I've seen a lot of reviews with this same complaint for that model, so thinking that I should stick with the 1.28 or maybe even go back to 1.6 for better bowl rinsing. Or do you think I just got a bad Drake II and I'd be good with another one?

Thanks,
    Mike

Blog Entries

If you have bowl cleaner, that helps.
    TOTO recommends cleaning the bowl to remove oils before using it the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    If you have bowl cleaner, that helps.
    TOTO recommends cleaning the bowl to remove oils before using it the first time.
    Thanks Terry. Its great to have a site like this where the admin is so active

The toilet has been installed for about 6 months, and has been cleaned numerous times over that period, yet both my roommate and I have frequent (basically every time) issues with streaking. This can't be normal. I'm wondering what to do about the current one, but more pressingly, what model to get for my powder room that is nearing completion.

Any thoughts? Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by mtcummins View Post
    both my roommate and I have frequent (basically every time) issues with streaking. This can't be normal.

Mine does the same thing, requiring scrubbing pretty much every time I use it. It is "normal," I guess. There's nothing I can see that's defective about the operation of my toilet. I've definitely been disappointed with this aspect. The toilet flushes well, but I avoid using it because it's pretty much guaranteed I'll have to use the toilet brush.

What I've noticed is that the back wall of the interior of the bowl seems to jut forward, meaning the "deposits" frequently hit it on the way down. My other toilet, a Mansfield Cascade, has a different design where the back of the bowl doesn't jut forward into the path of the "material" nearly as much. The Mansfield almost never requires any scrubbing.

Which seat do you have? I have a slow-close seat from HD. I'm thinking a genuine Toto seat may help, since it could position the person better over the water spot, but that's just a guess.
    Last edited by stephenk; 02-19-2013 at 11:45 AM.

Default Streaking...

Quote Originally Posted by stephenk View Post
    Mine does the same thing, requiring scrubbing pretty much every time I use it. It is "normal," I guess. There's nothing I can see that's defective about the operation of my toilet. I've definitely been disappointed with this aspect. The toilet flushes well, but I avoid using it because it's pretty much guaranteed I'll have to use the toilet brush.

What I've noticed is that the back wall of the interior of the bowl seems to jut forward, meaning the "deposits" frequently hit it on the way down. My other toilet, a Mansfield Cascade, has a different design where the back of the bowl doesn't jut forward into the path of the "material" nearly as much. The Mansfield almost never requires any scrubbing.

Which seat do you have? I have a slow-close seat from HD. I'm thinking a genuine Toto seat may help, since it could position the person better over the water spot, but that's just a guess.
    So am I to understand that with all the raving about how good Totos are, my fairly expensive toilet is "supposed" to streak all the time, much worse than a off the shelf Home Cheapo toilet? I like to buy quality, which is why I bought a Toto. Their reputation proceeds them, and the rave reviews here seem to indicate that they're as good as their reputation. But I'll tell you, side by side performance-wise, I can see little to no difference between this expensive Toto 1.28gpf and the crappy Glacier Bay 1.28 that I had before. The GB never clogged either, it streaked like crazy (about same as Toto, maybe a little worse, but not substantially different). The fit and finish on it doesn't hold a candle to Toto, but if that's all I wanted, I'd buy a Kohler and save the extra dough the Toto costs.

Should I just not be using a 1.28? I've read a ton of bad reviews of the Aquia for the same reasons. I'm quickly loosing any faith I had in the Toto brand...

The streaks for me aren't just in the back, the swirling of the flush will actually make the toilet streak even under the water. Its really obnoxious. But my seat is a pretty nice Kohler soft close with quick release for cleaning, etc. I kind of doubt the Toto seat would make a difference for me, as its not just that back wall, its pretty much everywhere, where this thing can't stay clean. On the plus side, it always LOOKS clean, b/c it gets brushed a couple times a day. <sigh>

I have two Drakes without Sanagloss, and a double-cyclone Carlyle II which has the same flush yours does as well as Sanagloss. All three get deposits in a variety of consistencies. No streaking. Generally nothing left behind. Certainly no need to brush often. Bottom line...in normal use, most people have not reported having the problems that you are reporting.