Stop running water?

Users who are viewing this thread

masato

Reaction score
Hi. I was wondering if anyone can help me.

Few weeks ago, it seemed as if the flapper in the tank was leaking, so I decided to replace it. I thought I had fixed it since the toilet stopped draining when I wasn't using it. I'm unsure if this is relevant.

I noticed today that the tank was continually being filled with water even few minutes after use unless I close the main valve from the wall. I looked inside the tank and saw that the water was draining into the overflow tube, way past the indicated appropriate water level. After looking for tutorials online, I adjusted the spring clip (that's attached to the metal rod) downwards. Now when I flush the toilet, I can see that the tank fills itself quickly to the appropriate water level, but once it gets to that point, it slows down instead of completely stopping. It keeps filling the tank up with water at a much slower rate from that point on unless I close the valve from the wall. Can anyone give me any advice or point me to an older thread where this is covered?

Thanks in advance.

ttmatsu

Reaction score
If you have a Korky or FluidMaster fill mechanism, replace the cap assembly (rubber gasket). If you don't have one of these, it's probably best to get one and replace the mechanism you currently have.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That usually fixes it, and they're cheap. Sometimes, you can just take it out and, if there's some sand or something caught, you might just rinse it and replace to fix it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
water

The valve is not shutting of, but the best cure depends on which valve you have. Some are easy to repair, while others should just be replaced.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks