Need advice on shower & tub faucet fixture update

Users who are viewing this thread

408George

Reaction score
I have some 45+ y/o 1 BR apartments that I'm beginning to changing out existing Price-Pfister 3 handle shower & tub faucets with old 1/2" IP to "newer" single handle anti-scald fixtures using copper. I would like to be able to select a basic shower & tub faucet unit between AS, Delta, PP, Kohler and Moen commonly found at my local HD, Lowe's or OSH.
When I began checking the price of the single valve replacement cost ranged from $12 to $60 with varying degrees of difficulty to repair and replace. Now I'm wondering if I'm violating the "kiss rule" or "keep it simple stupid" by upgrading? I would like to get some feedback pro and con on this and the different faucet brands mentioned??:confused: Thanks for reading!

CarlH

Reaction score
You'll find that Delta will cost you more than what you were looking at previously. At the big box stores the Delta 1300/1400 series in the classic trim starts at ~$80. The nice thing about the valve with the monitor or pressure balancing is that you don't get any surprises if somebody flushes the toilet or something like that. Pressure might drop, but you don't get that major change in temperature.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

The first question would be, "what kind of faucets are you getting for $12.00 to $60.00?" In some cases that would not even buy the handle. I assume you must be doing some degree of remodeling, because changing a steel pipe installed valve CANNOT be done through a small hole in the wall.

408George

Reaction score
The first question would be, "what kind of faucets are you getting for $12.00 to $60.00?" In some cases that would not even buy the handle. I assume you must be doing some degree of remodeling, because changing a steel pipe installed valve CANNOT be done through a small hole in the wall.

These were the prices for the "replacement valves" for the various American Standard, Delta, Moen, Price-Pfister, etc. for basic tub & shower faucet sets around $100 found at Home Depot, Lowe's or OSH. My licensed plumber does not care what brand I use and I was wondering if commercial grade fixtures (ie Las Vegas hotel baths) are any better for the money? I have demo'ed the tub, tile surround & bath sub-floor. The plumber is upgrading the IP drains to ABS & I bought Delta for the tub & shower faucet sets.
Thanks everyone for reading and your comments!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks