Will this work for new P-trap for vanity?

Users who are viewing this thread

skibumdc

Reaction score
plumbing.jpg

House builder used solvent 90* downturn on 1/2" pipe to threaded connection as shown.

I was planning to use another 90* elbow, use 1/2" PVC to extend drain out, then use p-trap to turn the drain up towards sink and reduce pipe to 1/4"

Will this work?

I have my doubts since the water has to flow upwards now....but it does than in the P-trap anyways.

If not, I guess my fix to to cut off the solvent downturn and use a new solvent to threaded connection and extend drain out to the P-trap.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The purpose of the p-trap is to have a water seal, to prevent sewer gas from entering the home,
But not so much seal that it prevents scouring of the trap itself.

What you have is much too deep.
Expect problems with that.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If you take a picture of that, you can post it in Mark's "Pig Slop Plumbing 2009 Contest"

skibumdc

Reaction score
New idea

If you take a picture of that, you can post it in Mark's "Pig Slop Plumbing 2009 Contest"
I didn't know I posted in a comedian forum.

I brainstormed last night and came up with a better idea.

What do y'all think?
plumbing2.jpg

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Redwood might be right about the pic thing. It's hard to get a judge on distances with the drawings you posted.

skibumdc

Reaction score
Redwood might be right about the pic thing. It's hard to get a judge on distances with the drawings you posted.
The horizontal piece to extend to under the new sink will be about 5-6", nothing too big. The drop from the sink to the proposed horizontal piece is approximately 8". Again, nothing dramatic.

I guess my BIG question is whether the P-trap needs to be directly under the sink or can it be attached to the wall as pictured and plumbing from sink ran to the P-trap as shown>

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
What you have drawn is ok, handicapped laves are often piped back to the wall to keep the pipes out of the way.

Gardner

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
non-professional opinion

How long is the stub sticking out of the wall before the first fitting? I assume this is 1-1/2 PVC, right?

If you have enough pipe to work with, I think my instinct would be to cut off the first fitting and attach a plain 1-1/4 inch trap adapter. Worst case is you cut away the drywall around the pipe to fit the hub of your new trap adapter and cut the stub off flush with the wall.

After that you can fit normal trap parts.

skibumdc

Reaction score
I have about 1"-1.5" of PVC pipe coming out of the wall.
So I COULD cut off the old downturn and extend the pipe to directly under the sink.
I read on another forum may run into problems if I DON'T do this.
I was just trying to avoid cutting, but I'd rather do it right the first time.

Gardner

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I am by no means a professional, but my understanding is that this type of drain stub would normally end in a trap adapter located right at the wall where it can be covered by an escutcheon plate.

The trap adapter has a slip-fit gasket and hand-nut that allows a standard 1-1/4 chrome or ABS or whatever trap arm to be shoved in and tightened up. The chrome trap arm can be whatever length needed to reach out to where it will meet the trap, all on the (pitched) horizontal from the stub out.

Attachments

• trap.png
    trap.png
    88.1 KB · Views: 1,522

skibumdc

Reaction score
Problem solved.
I decided to bite the bullet and cut off the builder 90 downturn.
Used a solvent joint wall to 1.5" adapter.
I then ran horizontal pipe to the trap which is now directly underneath the sink.

I used the flexi extension up to the sink drain.

Drains perfectly now.

Thanks for convincing me to do the right thing.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You think so?

used the flexi extension up to the sink drain.

Thanks for convincing me to do the right thing.

If we convinced you to do the RIGHT thing, who told you to use the flexi extension? Using that just undid your statement that you "did it the right way".
progress.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
got here too late for your first fix.

Just to word it all one more time, with a different view, see:
https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15269

Summary:

Your first "fix" diagram was a good try; nobody told you to raise the elbow to put it right close to the sink. (This gives you more storage space under the sink too.)

So, yes, under the sink, you CAN have a tight radius elbow sending the drain over to the wall, or better said, over to a position in space right above the P trap. Next step: right above the P trap, another tight elbow turns the drain down to the P trap (caveats, re: how far that distance is).

The P trap has to be at the same height as its tailpiece coming out of it (which goes over to the stack). Caveats: 1. Trap weir is the key factor to manage, and 2. The drop from trap weir to the stack is the real thing, which determines the height where you put the trap weir, and 3. tailpiece has to be at least a certain few inches length, number of inches depending on its ID and 4. other caveats etc etc.

When I first posted about all this, I was confused as until then nobody had ever said specifically that one could turn a drain line with a tight elbow...

Hope this helps.

David

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks