(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Will this work for new P-trap for vanity?

Hybrid View

Default Will this work for new P-trap for vanity?

House builder used solvent 90* downturn on 1/2" pipe to threaded connection as shown.

I was planning to use another 90* elbow, use 1/2" PVC to extend drain out, then use p-trap to turn the drain up towards sink and reduce pipe to 1/4"

Will this work?

I have my doubts since the water has to flow upwards now....but it does than in the P-trap anyways.

If not, I guess my fix to to cut off the solvent downturn and use a new solvent to threaded connection and extend drain out to the P-trap.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The purpose of the p-trap is to have a water seal, to prevent sewer gas from entering the home,
    But not so much seal that it prevents scouring of the trap itself.

What you have is much too deep.
    Expect problems with that.

If you take a picture of that, you can post it in Mark's "Pig Slop Plumbing 2009 Contest"

Default New idea

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
    If you take a picture of that, you can post it in Mark's "Pig Slop Plumbing 2009 Contest"
    I didn't know I posted in a comedian forum.

I brainstormed last night and came up with a better idea.

What do y'all think?

Flagstaff, AZ Sitting on an upside down 5 gallon bucket next to the GO 68HD

Redwood might be right about the pic thing. It's hard to get a judge on distances with the drawings you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by kingsotall View Post
    Redwood might be right about the pic thing. It's hard to get a judge on distances with the drawings you posted.
    The horizontal piece to extend to under the new sink will be about 5-6", nothing too big. The drop from the sink to the proposed horizontal piece is approximately 8". Again, nothing dramatic.

I guess my BIG question is whether the P-trap needs to be directly under the sink or can it be attached to the wall as pictured and plumbing from sink ran to the P-trap as shown>