causes of electrical fires??

Users who are viewing this thread

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
I think you need to go back and look at a 4" octagon metal box, they aren't shaped as your picture shows. Well, they are an octagon, but the sides aren't equal as your picture shows. So, I can easily see someone just saying 4x4 box, maybe you in your advance state as an instructor would never do that, but others might....
And it is the ones that would call an octagon or round box a 4x4 that will never get any understanding of box fill.

I am however glad you finished 5th grade....when you further your education with a college degree and beyond, you'll surely learn not to assume anything!
Well for what it is worth to you I have a piece of paper with my name on it from North Carolina State University. I don't think I am the one assuming that a 4x4 is a round box now am I?

Maybe I am wrong, please explain! Afterall you are the teacher, please teach! Was I wrong on what I would have done prior to reading the code?
That is like asking if there will be a blue truck parked in the store parking lot in the morning on the way to work. No one can say if you would have done something right until after you have done it.

I am certain, I was correct! If not please enlighten me there as well. 4 wires max wouldn't have been overfill on any 4" box that is 2-1/8" deep.
This would depend on what you are calling a wire. If you are talking about four #4 conductors then it would not be compliant.

Crazy part is my common sense tells me, putting much more than that isn't safe, I didn't need to pass any test to tell me that.
Common sense or not it would not be wrong to install as many as 20 eighteen gauge conductors in that box
In my opinion taking the home owners test is just passing through the hoops....but if that's what it takes then fine.
To someone who fully understands the dangers involved with electrical installations it makes perfect sense to test someone on their ability before letting them continue to make electrical installation. To someone who does not fully understand the dangers involved with electricity they just can’t understand why someone should be required to take a test before being allowed to make electrical installations.

Maybe I didn't read the code correct and that really comes from not wanting to waste a bunch of time flipping through online pages to check on the a couple of things.
Try as hard as I could I just couldn’t understand what you were saying here. I would suggest that anyone that is going to undertake making an electrical installation read the NEC and study it in detail

I haven't seen you point anything out, you skirt around acting arrogant, that is it!
I think you might be a little off base here. You make the comment in your opening post that you have been reading the NEC so every answer I have given you has made reference to that book. I can’t understand why you think that by giving you the code section in question I am not helping you.

What I have learned in life, is the people whom are the most successful are the ones not whom think they know it all, but the ones that surround themselves with those smarter than they.
Well my friend I can promise you that this is something I do daily. Just yesterday I was in a meeting with the chair person of code panel 8 and the CEO of the NCAEC as well as others. I do make an effort to ensure that any information I give out is the best.

I've never claimed to know it all, which is why I am here asking questions! I question why you are here, because all you want to do is mock and act like you know it all, when you clearly don't or you woudn't be here. Some are here to learn, others are here because they truly want to be useful, you seem to be here merely to self promote. Have at it!!
Spoke in a truly defensive manner. I get this type of statement all the time when I have pointed out to someone where and why they are wrong. There is nothing wrong with making a mistake except the lack in mental ability to accept the fact and admit it, 4x4 and 4 square is the same. It is you who made this statement;
Is this a round box or a square box?

1) A 4x4x2-1/8 metal box (Round houses 9 conductors) (Square houses 13 conductors). So NO on both counts.
Now you can try to turn the tables on me all you want but the facts are there in plain sight for the entire world to see. A 4x4 box can not be round plain and simple.

Is that a fact! You probably asked each and every one of them! I actually don't see the NEC stating a box being 4x4. NEC states it as being 4" square or 4" round/octagonal. You and one other person stated 4x4! NEC, was much more clear....they obviously didn't want confusion....
If you can’t understand that 4x4 and 4 square is the same then you will not pass that test that someone is going to make you pass so you will look like a pet dog jumping through hoops.

As for the common sense, I am paying attention to mine and disregarding you from here on out....
Spoke like someone who (notice the use of the word who instead of the misuse of the word whom) truly does not have the ability to learn. So have at it!!

Last edited:

Master Brian

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
It wasn't directed at you. Just at the general discussion of the entire post. I can't believe we are telling each other basic geometry. I doubt that's why people are on this forum.

Don't ask me, I really didn't think it was a big deal. I just saw it listed differently in the NEC codebook and thought I should clarify!

Like I mentioned before, I think some people just like to try to make themselves feel smarter.

Master Brian

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Spoke like someone who (notice the use of the word who instead of the misuse of the word whom) truly does not have the ability to learn. So have at it!!

If you are going to criticize someone's grammer, you might first want to make certain you have it mastered yourself! Actually it's "Spoken"! Think my 3y/o has that one mastered. You messed it up at least twice, along with several other things in your last post alone! I would have let it pass, but you are obviously in need of perfection!

As for the size of the wire, that was clearly spelled out, we were discussing 12/2. Maybe you better stop your assumptions.....

As for the part you couldn't comprehend. I didn't want to "waste time" flipping through an online manual one page at a time, when it takes about 30sec per page on a 700+ page manual! IF a printed copy had been in front of me or I could have chosen the page # to go to, I would have done it. Had other things to do at the time.... Sorry that was inconcievable to your far superior brain!

Sorry, I had to glance back at the car wreck....human nature!:rolleyes:

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
When doing an electrical installation the most important tool anyone can have is a current copy of the NEC. To just ask someone if this is right or if that is right is not getting the job done correctly.

The price of a current copy of the NEC is a lot less than having the inspector come back for another inspection.

But then again maybe some use a butter knife instead of a screwdriver.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks