low voltage wiring?

Users who are viewing this thread

GabeS

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
Do you need an electrical license to work with low voltage wiring? ex.) telephone, cable, computer, alarm system, speaker system, etc.

I heard no from a union electrician. Is that true?

Also, do you typically need to get permits to run these lines in a preexisting house?

Igor

Reaction score
It depends on where you are. Many states do require licensing for low-voltage work; some don't.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Technically? Yes. Ever since 2001 when we adopted the NEC. But it doesn't have to be a regular electrician, there's a separate license for low-voltage wiring.

But I think it only applies to people doing it for hire; you might be okay DIYing for yourself, I'm not sure. Call the DoB and ask.

Last edited:

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
I think there is zero likelihood of dying with less than 47v and less than 18 mA. The NEC seems to relax with less than 30vrms, less than 42v peak and less than 60 vdc.

The phone line delivers about 56vdc at a max. current of ~170mAdc, but the ringing signal is a bit more than 90vrms.
I doubt it ever killed anyone.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Well, if you weren't expecting it, the ring voltage might make you fall off a ladder:D. I know it creates a big surprise if you're holding it when it happens.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
Well, if you weren't expecting it, the ring voltage might make you fall off a ladder:D. I know it creates a big surprise if you're holding it when it happens.
Turns out falling or jumping off a 2' ladder dumps as much energy into your body as several bullets. With knees locked, the power dumped into you is very high because the deceleration is very high.
The Darwin Awards are always lookin' for people!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks