well bangs when it shuts off

Users who are viewing this thread

halfmoon

Reaction score
Love the site,

I have a 19 year old submersible pump well with a well trol tank (7 years old) all has been fine. Last week it started to bang near the tank T with the switch,gauge and check valve. I checked the pressure in the tank and it is within 2 PSI cut in/out.

We have no problem with water pressure, no short cycling and no leak down, just a bang when pump shuts off?

Thanks for any help

Speedbump

Reaction score
Get rid of the check valve and the bang should go away. You really shouldn't have one there anyway.

bob...

halfmoon

Reaction score
Thanks, I read that on other post. Why after 19 years it never did this and now it does?

Thanks

Speedbump

Reaction score
Why do we only live to be somewhere in our eighties before we croak? Old age is the culprit.

Anyway, you should remove it. If it were working like it's supposed to, you would be possibly masking other problems that occur down the well with age.

bob...

halfmoon

Reaction score
Anyway, you should remove it. If it were working like it's supposed to, you would be possibly masking other problems that occur down the well with age.

One more thing, if I were to remove it do I need to pull the pump and add one at the pump or will the pump act as a check valve.

Thanks again speedbump

Speedbump

Reaction score
All submersible pumps come with check valves either in them or on them. Hopefully yours still works, it should.

Here in Hillsborough County, the (MORON) plumbing inspector decided it would be a good idea to have one on every new well in the County. He made the rule himself, with no help from any educated person. This doesn't make it right, just law.

bob...

halfmoon

Reaction score
Well if GOD (plumbing inspector) says it needs it :mad: you know he nows more than those who do this for a living. Its the same around here in MD with inspectors.

Thanks for your help

Rick

halfmoon

Reaction score
Thanks speedbump,

The check valve is gone and so is the bang. The valve was broken inside. The well holds pressure so there is no leak down from the pumps check valve.

Thanks again for your help.

Rick

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks