How do I trim an acylic tub surround?

Users who are viewing this thread

amblyn

Reaction score
We are remodeling an upstairs bath in our old farmhouse. The room is quite small but it was a full bath before and we want to keep it as a full bath. The issue is the bathroom has a sloped wall caused by the angle of the roofline. The bathtub/shower has a showerhead on the full height side but the opposite wall follows the roofline. It had tub surround panels that were probably installed in the 70's(marbled green laminate). We want to install an acylic surround - 3 or 5 piece - but will need to trim the back wall to height. Is this possible without completely ruining the surround? We aren't really interested in tiling this bath unless absolutely necessary. We are pretty handy but have never come up against this before. I have found a picture online that has a similar set up to our bath. If my desciption isn't clear I will try to copy it and post it. Any advice would be appreciated!

CharlieM

Reaction score
Acrylic surrounds don't sit flat to the wall except for the screw flanges. IMO it would be impossible to trim one down which essentially removes the flange.

I would tile it.

Charlie

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you used solid surface panels, like Corian or Silestone (to name a couple), then it would be fairly easy. If you wanted to buy a conventional surround, I agree, it probably wouldn't work. You might be able to do it, but you'd have trouble making the edges look good, and you'd probably have to add blocking to support it since you'd be cutting off the lip that goes against the studs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks