Iron Bipfouling/softener issues?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ms Thistle

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I stumbled across this forum and we sure could use some advice. We live in a rural area in Northern CA, where there is a lot of issue with iron bacteria in the water.

We have had issues for years, due to what we think is an inadequate filtration system which is a large container with gravel in it, essentially ...I'm sure I've got the terms wrong here! ... it is set up to 'backflow' and clean it out at night (regardless, our water, if left to settle, within minutes turns a light orange; our shower tile is orange no matter how much I clean it!). We have a softener, that the previous owner told us to put 'red out' softener pellets in. This worked okay for a few years, but it has been getting worse and worse. We had this system checked out a few times, and never could find anyone who really had any good ideas as to what to do.

Suddenly, our water is turning very orange. My husband says there is a lot of iron debris in the softener -- first time ever -- and we are sure the container needs to be serviced, for one.

We are hearing that the Triple O system is the best for our situation, thought the cost is quite prohibitive right now.

However, I'm hesitant to spend money even having this serviced right now, when it is just more hundred of dollars that could go towards the Triple O system.

My main questions are:

-- Is the Triple O worth it? We were quote $9K to have it installed, with a 2600 gallon water tank, and all new piping from the pump to our house.

-- This house has galvanized piping throughout, the well was put in around '85. If I get the Triple O, my water will be clear but it has to travel through piping that has 20+ years of iron build up! Will I have residual iron "biofouling" still as an issue, or will the Triple O miraculously handle this? ;>

-- What is going on with the softener? Is it just that the gravel in the container needs to be cleaned out?

-- How harmful is this water? I'm getting worried about my children taking baths in orange water. We use bottled water to drink at this point, and have for at least 2 yrs.

(And BTW -- I too have had bad skin rashing, far worse than ever, since using this water. )

Thank you so much, I hope this is not too vague given my lack of knowledge. We have felt we are getting scammed a bit by some companies, so we are trying to educate ourselves as much as we can.

Kimberely
(Ms Thistle)

Last edited:

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi,

Sounds like you have very high iron (so do I BTW). Water softeners will handle up to about 4ppm iron. Anything beyond that you will need an iron filter before the softener. However you need to provide us with a professional water test before anyone here can really recommending anything. These tests tell you how much iron, how much hardness, ph, etc. Someone in your area does water testing. Get a test kit from them, follow the instructions for obtaining a sample and return it to them. Make sure to bypass all filters, softeners, etc and let the water run for a few minutes before taking a sample.

Also what is the GPM yeild of your well and knowing what the cut in and cut out settings are on your pressure switch would also help.

Also what is the purpose of the 2500gal tank? A 2500gal holding tank isn't necessary to remove iron.

-rick

Speedbump

Reaction score
A triple O could be anything, but for that price, for get it. It's a scam.

I agree with the water test. Without that, there is nothing anyone can do for you.

Iron in water and Iron Bacteria are totally different things. Be sure you find out if you have one or the other.

bob...

Ms Thistle

Reaction score
Hi Rick,

Thank you for your response:

Hi,

Sounds like you have very high iron (so do I BTW). Water softeners will handle up to about 4ppm iron. Anything beyond that you will need an iron filter before the softener. "

Yes, I forgot to mention that -- we do have one. It is highly inadequate as well, though we change it out all the time.

However you need to provide us with a professional water test before anyone here can really recommending anything. These tests tell you how much iron, how much hardness, ph, etc. Someone in your area does water testing. Get a test kit from them, follow the instructions for obtaining a sample and return it to them. Make sure to bypass all filters, softeners, etc and let the water run for a few minutes before taking a sample.

This is a good idea -- we had the water tested awhile ago, but it was only after the filter process, to be sure it was drinkable.

Also what is the GPM yeild of your well and knowing what the cut in and cut out settings are on your pressure switch would also help.

I'll look into that.

We just recently had this guy, who was trying to sell us the Triple O, btw, who insisted that our bladder had failed (we assume it had, because we could not get any water, the pressure was gone). He charged us $500 to fix it. Anyway, he swore it was all as it should be, and reset everything as I recall. Again, we need to get more educated about all that, obviously! Sorry, I'm kind of rambling here... I will check with my husband, he most likely knows.

Also what is the purpose of the 2500gal tank? A 2500gal holding tank isn't necessary to remove iron.

The tank is for the Triple O process: instead of the water being pumped up through a bladder at then along the pipe to our filter system at the house, this water is pumped up into a holding tank, which has the filter system - the Triple O, or ozone filtration as I understand - in the tank. The water is filtered there in the tank, and then travels to the house.

http://www.tripleo.com/process.htm

-rick

Thanks, Rick!
Kimberely

Last edited:

Ms Thistle

Reaction score
Hi Bob,
Thank you as well for your response:

A triple O could be anything, but for that price, for get it. It's a scam.

I agree with the water test. Without that, there is nothing anyone can do for you.

Iron in water and Iron Bacteria are totally different things. Be sure you find out if you have one or the other.

bob...

I've included the link to the Triple O, have you heard of it? We are being told by everyone in our parts (Northern CA), that this is the best possible system to address the heavy iron issues here. We thought the cost was ridiculous as well -- even though it included all labor, parts, tank, etc. The cost went up 2K strangely, from his original verbal quote. My husband started price comparing online, and thought the guy was scamming us.

From what I have been told, we have Iron Bacteria. We have been told to shock our well often, though it seems to help only for a short time. I need ot have someone com eout, so I will look into the water tests.

Could you tell me a little more about the difference between iron in the water and iron bacteria? Or point me to some online info?

(Right now, when I take a shower I can feel the sticky residue of the iron on my skin. I also have similar to what I'm reading from others here: orange toilet bowl, orange hued clothes from my washer, the sponge in my kitchen sink is orange. FWIW...)

Thanks!
Kimberely

http://www.tripleo.com/process.htm

Last edited:

Speedbump

Reaction score
I haven't heard of this Triple O but Ozone has been around for decades. It's nothing new. Problem is, all the Ozone machines I have seen over the years don't last more than a couple years at best then your right back where you were. And they are not a cure all by any stretch. You can accomplish the same results with chlorine for $400.00 or less.

Get a good test done and put it up here for some of us to look at. You will get honest advice and won't get ripped like you would with some filtration salesman.

bob...

Mariner

Reaction score
Hi,

WHat everyone else has said.

There are a few people who deal with and sell water softeners. These people will help you out and can point you in the right direction, once they have mor detail of your situation - especially water test results, as everything will hinge on what the water properties are.

So, in the mentime hang in there and commit yourself to nothing. Research and ask questions and then question the answers until you are sure. What you have been quoted is 99% a ripoff or grossly overpriced if put politely.

There are a lot of willing and good people here that will give you an honest opinion.

HTH

mariner

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
IRB is a large group of anaerobic and aerobic types of bacteria that are harmless to humans and animals. They cause slime and staining and can cause ferrous, clear water, soluble iron levels to fluctuate. You must kill them with a disinfectant and then filter the 'dirt' that causes out of the water.

Disinfectants like chlorine or ozone are used. Ozone is a much stronger and faster acting disinfectant than chlorine or anything else. Ozone systems are very pricey and can be very difficult to get to work right and maintenance can be expensive.

Triple O is an ozone system using a bubbler in a storage tank. The rust from the ferrous iron content and the IRB and dirt from other things that can be in the water and oxidized like manganese, will settle to the bottom of the tank and will require the tank to be cleaned at times and you could get dirty water out of the tank prior to it being cleaned or all the time.

Softeners that are sized correctly can remove up to 5 ppm of ferrous iron. They will require a resin cleaner be used such as Iron Out. Specially built softeners can remove up to 10 ppm of iron with the help of a resin cleaner like Iron Out. I've been doing it for 21 years.

I suggest my inline erosion pellet chlorinator, special mixing tank with a manual bottom drain used t oget rid of teh 'dirt' in the tank periodically, that is equivalent to a 120 gallon retention tank, and an automatically backwashed filter with a special carbon that is great at removing the 'dirt' and chlorine from the water after chlorination/oxidation. Depending on the size of the filter, the delivered price is a bit more than a 1/4th of the $9K for the Triple O and you don't have a HUGE 2500 tank in the yard.

Get the raw water iron, pH, hardness tests done and post them here.

Ms Thistle

Reaction score
Here are the Test Results

Hi everyone,

This test is from 2002-- we had another test done yesterday, but it will be 2 weeks and they are telling me they don't expect the numbers to be any different (so why take another test? Seems superfluous to me, but we went ahead because the plumbing co was adamant).

This is the RAW sample, untreated:
hardness 7.95 grains per gallon
pH 7.44 parts per million
Iron 1.770 parts per million
Manganese 1.30 parts per million
Iron Bacteria present: Coliform present at 9.0 and E.Coli absent at -1.1

At that time, after servicing system and treatment:

Hardness o.oo
pH 7.4
Iron o.ooo
Mang o.oo

Now, what is interesting to me about this treated set of numbers is that if this were correct, how come we were still constantly having problems with our system? I guess it doesn't matter at this point, but I am curious if only for the education factor.

This was about 5 yrs back, and we were almost in a dispute with the company we were dealing with. That's a long story, but they didn't really know what they were doing and really gave us the run around. We have never trusted those 'treated' numbers. They have since gone out of business, as far as I know (?).

Each time we have had it serviced or ''upgraded', we had decent water for literally days to 2 weeks, maybe. And then the iron issues would be back.

Since the above numbers and servicing, in 2004 we had the medium changed out and a new canister (?) installed -- a "Flopac". There is a small paper filter attached, and then we have a Kenmore Softner Ultrasoft 425 as well (I want to say on 2006).

The system is set to regenerate every night.

(The pump is set, btw, at 60/40 my husband said. )

Is it possible that the Iron Bacteria has a root problem that is not being addressed? I understand that it 'breeds' and can be quite tenacious. Could this be why a water test may come back looking good initially, and yet our water seems to get worse and worse?

Currently, we know that we need to have the softener cleaned out and the medium in the canister as well -- we did not keep up on this part, our fault because we weren't really clear what to do -- and the company we are using now seems to think it may be saturated with iron (but they aren't sure! Nice guy, but didn't even know what system we were using).

Regardless, they will fix it but we will be right back where we were -- this system is inadequate. We are trying to investigate what is the best course of action to take: ozone? A mix of ozone with the system we have now? Additional filter of some kind with the system we have?

Love some input, and thanks again!

UPDATE: the person here to fix the issue took the head of the medium canister (regenerator?), it was completely locked-up by a tremendous iron build up (says he's never seen anything like it). He also said that the system we have he has seen work well for other people to get the iron out, "can't figure out why it isn't doing the job, though it obviously isn't! "

Kimberely
Northern CA

Last edited:

Speedbump

Reaction score
I will never understand why softener people almost always use a softener to treat iron problems. Why do they make iron filters if softeners would do such a great job?

Your water is almost soft at 7 grains. I would be looking into a good (not sears or any other box unit) iron filter. I do not have manganese in my area so I am not familiar with what needs to be done to rid you of it.

bob...

Ms Thistle

Reaction score
I will never understand why softener people almost always use a softener to treat iron problems. Why do they make iron filters if softeners would do such a great job?

Your water is almost soft at 7 grains. I would be looking into a good (not sears or any other box unit) iron filter. I do not have manganese in my area so I am not familiar with what needs to be done to rid you of it.

bob...

Hi Bob,

Forgive my lack of knowledge -- you mean that canister with the medium in it is not an iron filter? Or the silly little 16" housing for a paper filter (which I always thought was a joke)?

See, this is what I don't know and therefore don't know to ask -- so the process of how they are trying to get our iron out is via the softener? No wonder it doesn't work! [grrrrr]

What is a good iron filter, and what do they run?

Thanks!

Kimberely

World Traveler

Reaction score
I haven't heard of this Triple O but Ozone has been around for decades. It's nothing new. Problem is, all the Ozone machines I have seen over the years don't last more than a couple years at best then your right back where you were. And they are not a cure all by any stretch. You can accomplish the same results with chlorine for $400.00 or less.

Get a good test done and put it up here for some of us to look at. You will get honest advice and won't get ripped like you would with some filtration salesman.

bob...
If you have a house piped in copper and use Ozone beware of the pin hole leaks you may get eventually, spent over $3k for the Triple 0 system and starting getting leaks in the walls and ceiling in my home on piping nearest the well tank. Had to repipe some of the house in PEX after drywall repairs, turned off the Ozone and now just have a very expensive aerating filter in the tank. Lab analysis of piping showed the effects of the ozone, leaks were in the piping nearest the tank after piping entered the house. I will never ever use Ozone again with a copper piped home. Guess it’s fine if you house is all PEX. Using Kinetico filters with 7% hydrogen peroxide and carbon and solves the problem but more $$$. And be sure to fill all conduits with sealant leaving the tank or sulphur will eat up your electrical and control panels in a few years. But at least I have the comfort of knowing I won’t have any chlorine, Ozone or anything else corrosive attacking my house piping again. No more leaks in house once I learned these expensive lessons.

Bannerman

Reaction score
An ozone generator is often added to a treatment system utilizing an iron removal media such as Katalox light. In this method, Ozone is created and will be drawn in only during a daily regeneration of the media so as to disinfect the media to kill bacteria and to increase the media's oxidative capacity.

The ozone generator will only operate for usually up to 45-minutes per day, sufficient to imerse the media with ozone. Because ozone rapidly reverts back to its native oxygen state, no ozone will usually remain within 10-minutes after the generator is shut off and so no ozone will actually enter the home's plumbing system.

While I appreciate your Triple O system does not function as described, the broad brush warnng you posted above does not apply to every application where ozone is utilized.

Last edited:

Ritazoo

AceAyes Co., Ltd
Reaction score
Website
www.abcyout.com
Ozone can be used to remove iron and manganese, and also disinfect water, but how to use ozone? you need to reply the questions below

1, what water is, well water, drinking water, spring water? if wastewater, BOD, COD, TSS PH of inlet water and discharge water
2, water flow per hour or day?

I am ozone experts, if necessary, I can help you

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks