Bathtub faucet leaks

Users who are viewing this thread

SBeaty

Reaction score
I replaced a Moen cartridge in my single-handle bathtub faucet because it leaked. After replacing with new cartridge; it still leaks. The water dripping out is hot & it doesn't matter which way the handle is turned (hot or cold). What do I need to do to stop the leak?

SBeaty

Reaction score
Not sure of the model, the cartridge is a plastic Moen #1402 D. The original had been in there for 15 years. It was a chore to pull it loose, so there may be junk built up in there. I'll try the new cartridge and cleaning out the pipe.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
The first one is a 1222B for a positemp and the other is 1225B for a regular single handle

Attachments

• 1222b.jpg
    1222b.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 867
  • 1225b.jpg
    1225b.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 867

SBeaty

Reaction score
Faucet leaks

It is the 1225, the other number must have been the part # from Lowe's. The picture looks exactly like the cartridge. It is not the posi-temp.

SBeaty

Reaction score
It does have the Moen part # and Moen name, but also the first # I gave. I'll check for a Moen part & replace to see if that stops the leaking. Thanks!

SBeaty

Reaction score
Faucet leaks

The package says: 1402 D
MOEN Plastic cartridge Geniune OEM Manufacturer Repair Part Part # 1225. At the bottom of the package is Brass Craft tm.
It appears to be a non-Moen part that has the same part #.
Purchased at Lowe's.
I'll look for a Moen part to replace and clean out the interior before replacing.

SBeaty

Reaction score
Bought a geniune Moen cartridge #1225 & replaced the old one. The leak is just as bad. It must not be the cartridge; could there be a missing gasket at the back of the unit? The water is flowing straight out the spout, could it be the diverter unit? Driving me nuts!

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
There has got to be some foreign body in the chamber where the cartridge goes.. ( a piece of plastic or rubber from your old unit. Of course, distorting the chamber, where the cartridge does not sit square ,will give you the same affect. The diverter has nothing to do with the cartridge passing water

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leak

There is almost no way for the valve to leak if you are inserting the stem without damaging it. You might try the brass 1200 stem since it seals differently than the 1225.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks