(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Bathtub faucet leaks

Default Bathtub faucet leaks

I replaced a Moen cartridge in my single-handle bathtub faucet because it leaked. After replacing with new cartridge; it still leaks. The water dripping out is hot & it doesn't matter which way the handle is turned (hot or cold). What do I need to do to stop the leak?

Quote Originally Posted by SBeaty View Post
    What do I need to do to stop the leak?
    Another cartridge. This time check inside where the cartridge fits for loose debris and flush it out if you have to.

What model faucet do you have?

Default Bathtub faucet leaks

Not sure of the model, the cartridge is a plastic Moen #1402 D. The original had been in there for 15 years. It was a chore to pull it loose, so there may be junk built up in there. I'll try the new cartridge and cleaning out the pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by SBeaty View Post
    the cartridge is a plastic Moen #1402 D. .
    I haver never heard of this cartridge for a single handle bath faucet.

Are you sure its not a 1225B? or a 1222B Posi-temp
    Last edited by krow; 01-25-2009 at 07:33 PM.

The first one is a 1222B for a positemp and the other is 1225B for a regular single handle
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Default Faucet leaks

It is the 1225, the other number must have been the part # from Lowe's. The picture looks exactly like the cartridge. It is not the posi-temp.

Default faucet

If it has anything other than the Moen part number it is probably a generic replacement and those are seldom satisfactory.

It does have the Moen part # and Moen name, but also the first # I gave. I'll check for a Moen part & replace to see if that stops the leaking. Thanks!

Default Faucet leaks

The package says: 1402 D
    MOEN Plastic cartridge Geniune OEM Manufacturer Repair Part Part # 1225. At the bottom of the package is Brass Craft tm.
    It appears to be a non-Moen part that has the same part #.
    Purchased at Lowe's.
    I'll look for a Moen part to replace and clean out the interior before replacing.

Bought a geniune Moen cartridge #1225 & replaced the old one. The leak is just as bad. It must not be the cartridge; could there be a missing gasket at the back of the unit? The water is flowing straight out the spout, could it be the diverter unit? Driving me nuts!

There has got to be some foreign body in the chamber where the cartridge goes.. ( a piece of plastic or rubber from your old unit. Of course, distorting the chamber, where the cartridge does not sit square ,will give you the same affect. The diverter has nothing to do with the cartridge passing water
    Last edited by krow; 02-03-2009 at 08:03 PM.

Default leak

There is almost no way for the valve to leak if you are inserting the stem without damaging it. You might try the brass 1200 stem since it seals differently than the 1225.