DWV, Need Help

Users who are viewing this thread

gsici

Reaction score
I have just dug my trench and am proposing the following layout "attached the top view" of my DWV. Can experts please advise!!! Thx

Attachments

• Basement Rough in.jpg
    Basement Rough in.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 446

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I see a few problems...
S-trap for shower.
AAV venting laundry standpipe and shower.
Shower on the same 2" line as the laundry standpipe...

I would suggest revisiting the drawing board.
Are you having this permitted and inspected?

C NUMB

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.ericsmithplumbing.com
Good job on the layout, but I would use a 3x2 combo for the vent on the water closet and keep 3" up to the wye for shower and laundry connection and 3" to the base of the laundry stack. Also keep 2" for wm drain. Have done similar connections down my way way and if you can re-vent the laundry stack instead of the aav it would be more advisable.

esplumbing-378252-albums-misc-shots-pic21706-01-25-2009-10-04-35am.jpg

gsici

Reaction score
Thx Redwood. I made a mistake in stating S Trap it is actually a P Trap without the clean-out. I have changed my mind with the AAV and decided to vent straight up and run to a nearby vent.

Why is 2" not enough to run a sink and shower?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drains

I read it as "lavatory", not "laundry", and 2" is adequate, if not preferable, for that usage. Where does the toilet vent go once it gets to the basement ceiling? IF there is a vent to connect to, why would you possibly cause yourself future problems by not connecting the lavatory/shower vent to it?

gsici

Reaction score
Thx C numb. I did have a 3X2 vent for my closet drain (unless I misunderstood?) I will definetly remove the AAV.

Also is 1/8th the same as 45 degrees?

gsici

Reaction score
HJ

Thank You. I am assuming that you are saying my original design with 2" will accommodate shower and sink.

The toilet vent gets connected to a 11/2" vent straight above it which vents the powder room above(mainfloor) and then continues to go up and eventually through the roof.

The reason I was going to use AAV on the shower sink was that the vent although only 7 ft (as th crow flies) to the toilet vent, I would go aginst the joists and did not want to build a bulkhead. The only way for me to tap into it would be an 8ft run parallel to the joist into a nearby bulkhead then back across the joists 7ft and tap into then. AAV or this????

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
My bad on reading laundry.
Damn small print... I guess the eyes are shot!

Okay lav wet venting the shower is fine.

Good idea on reventing the lav instead of using an AAV.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You can wet vent the entire bath group through the lav. The toilet doesn't need a vent.

gsici

Reaction score
Thx NH Master.

This is true even with the long run?

Just so I understand......Remove the 3x3x2" next to the closet flange?

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
IPC will let you run "unlimited" distance from toilet to vent. All the other fixtures have to be within limits depending on pipe size.

gsici

Reaction score
So back to my sink and toilet. Should I use the AAV or is the run of roughly 15 feet okay?

gsici

Reaction score
Thx for all your help. I have finished the DWV and now am moving into the next steps and have a few questions.

1) I have picked up a steam generator and the steam outlet valve is a metal 3/4" threaded male fitting. The instructions call for a 3/4" "steam copper piping". Needless to say my friends at Home Depot have no clue what this is? Is it the standard 3/4" water supply copper or am I into black pipe?

2) I am installing a shower head and am planning also using a handheld shower head. Can I buy the standard shower and tub diverter fixture and use the tub portion to feed my handheld shower head?

gsici

Reaction score
Thx HJ, but why would the water come out of both. Right now I can divert to either my tub or shower head. Why would this not be the same?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks