Wax ring type?

Users who are viewing this thread

SLB

Reaction score
I went to one of our local hardware stores to pick up a wax ring for our new toilet. They had two types, the one with a plastic funnel molded into it and the plain wax ring without the funnel. Having lurked on this forum for some time, it seems to me that the wax ring without the funnel is the most often recommended type.

However, the "helpful" hardware store guy insisted that I should be using the one with the funnel and that I should only use the plain one as needed to stack on top of the one with the funnel. I purchased both (each was less than $1), but now I'm not sure which I should use. The toilet flange is a new ABS type mounted flush and level over a new tile floor. My instinct is to stick with using the plain ring. Anyone agree/disagree?

Snowman

Reaction score
Website
blizphotos.wordpress.com
Hi slb,
I'm a retired guy who just loves this stuff........ I'm going to give you an answer before some of the "professional " guys answer cause I want to see if I am even close :rolleyes: Please don't do anything untill THEY answer.
Golly, I hope nobody gets really mad at me :eek: .

OK, if the flange is even with the top of the tile, I would say that you need to use both. Or just two of the "regular wax rings". I don't think there is anything "magical" about the plastic funnel.

I'm thinking about going to the local Vo-Tech and taking a night class in plumbing.......... :) Ain't I crazy ? Tom

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A straight wax ring is all you need. If the flange is properly anchored, in good condition, and on top of the finished floor, then one is fine unless you have a very strange toilet (or maybe a really old one). My unprofessional opinion. If you stacked a bunch of flange extenders to get the height right, then a horn might help out.

SLB

Reaction score
Thanks guys. The flange is an ABS 4x3 reducing type, so the opening already has a built in funnel shape. It is mounted on top of the tile floor (i.e. the top of the flange is about 1/2" above the finished floor), so I don't think I need more than one gasket.

Tom,
Like you, I'm big on DIY mostly because I like to understand all this stuff, but I must admit that when it comes to remodeling, plumbing is my least favorite. I think that I wouldn't mind it so much on new construction.

Regards,
Steve

Snowman

Reaction score
Website
blizphotos.wordpress.com
the top of the flange is about 1/2" above the finished floor), so I don't think I need more than one gasket.

That's OK then. Above, when you said "flush and level", I took it to mean even with the tile. I thought the flange was even with the floor. I think that would be a little low for the frange. When I installed one where the flange was even with the floor the wax ring did not have quite enough surface grab for my satisfaction. The toilet (Toto) just hit the tile, immediately, all around the base, ( no indication of the wax ring being thick enough),........ I didn't even have to "push" it down. That's why I said what I did. :)
Let us know how it goes, Tom

Last edited:

Plumbob

Reaction score
A plumber who was resetting my toilet awhile back said he didn't like the rings with the plastic funnel because he's seen cases where the funnel caused splashing-back that caused some kind of problem with wood rot I think, in some cases... Thats my recollection of his comments anyway :confused:

When the flange is low he just molds two regular wax rings together, one on top of the other. Makes sense and seems to work fine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks