Replace or Not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mikeyboy

Reaction score
My entire house has non-ic recessed cans and I just replaced all the trims with air-tite trims for all recessed lights that has an attic above. This is to hopefully prevent any air leakage going in or out through those fixtures.

Should I replace those trims with air-tite trims that have bedrooms above the fixtures? Would I be losing heat through those cans or would any cold air be coming in through those cans if a bedroom is above it?

GabeS

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
Don't you think you should have isulation compatible bodies for those light fixtures since they are in the attic?

Mikeyboy

Reaction score
When we bought the house two years ago, the previous owner went the inexpensive route with the non-ic fixtures. I dont have the funds to replace them right now so I thought the air-tite trims would help decrease the amount of heat loss. Wont it?

Should I replace the trims between the floor spaces?

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
If the cans aren't air tight or IC rated & covered with insulation then you will lose heat thru them

If you have access from the attic many people box these in with drywall , seal it, then cover with insulation to cut down on heat loss

GabeS

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
I thought the bigger issue was not letting insulation touch a non IC compatible body because of risk of fire. I believe the IC bodies have extra thickness and protection, that's why you can put the insulation right over them.

Yes, I'm talking about the body of the high hat in between the spaces of the ceiling. You probable have insulation in your attic that's touching the body of the high hat. If it's not rated for insulation then the insulation shouldn't touch it.

Mikeyboy

Reaction score
I have 17 light fixtures all together that I installed air-tite trims. I only have access with 6 of the 17. The remaining 11 are not accessible due to small attics or are in cathedral rooms.

Can someone please answer if I should replace the trims between the floor spaces?

Mikeyboy

Reaction score
I really dont know how much heat loss if any is going through those light fixtures in between the floor spaces. I dont think there is installation there. Is there? They are easy to change but if it wont make a difference then I wont bother.

Nate R

Reaction score
Between floors? Don't bother. Unless the upstairs is a finished attic that wasn't always finished, there's not likely going to be any insulation between floors. Nor would I be worried too much about heat loss between floors. There's plenty of heat that goes up the stairs to get to the 2nd floor, no?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks