Thermal overload

Users who are viewing this thread

sparker

Reaction score
Here's the problem I've been having lately.

I have a 30/50 pressure switch and when the pump kicks on and the tank fills the pump keeps running, not shutting off at 50, but reaching about 80 psi and holding there for while before dropping. If I open a tap and let it run, the pump doesn't turn back on when the pressure reaches 30 psi. Instead the pressure continues to drop until the tank is completely empty.

It takes anwhere from 5 to 10 minutes for the pump to turn back on and the above described cycle to resume itself. I checked the tank for signs of bladder damage and found none. Air pressure is set 2 psi below cut-in as well.

I was wondering if this sounded like thermal overload of the pump motor to anyone? Iron concentration is 3ppm. Hardness 50ppm. Pressure switch is new. Thanks for the advice.

sparker

Reaction score
Thanks Sammy. I replaced the switch last weekend but didn't think to clean the nipple. Is this a common problem with well water with high iron content?

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
Most certainly.Those ports can plug up quite often if you have a mineral content. The reason why it's building such a high pressure is because the switch isn't getting any pump pressure to shut it off. That 80lbs is probably the max pressure the pump can build so thats why the gauge sits at 80 psi. Make sure the air pressure in the tank is set at 2lbs below the cut in pressure of the pump so the tank doesn't empty before the pump turns on. Make the air adjustments with the tank empty.

sammy

www.tylerwellandpump.com

sparker

Reaction score
Thanks Sammy! You're the man! There was a plug of clay/iron clogging the nimple. I had to use a hammer and a nail set to clear it. If I could only get rid of this sediment issue now. Thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks