What type of home insulation should I purchase?

Users who are viewing this thread

eastinway

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I would appreciate advise on what type of home insulation I should buy. I'm concerned about breathing in chemicals contained in foam insulation. What would be the most economical way to go.

Also, can I insulate my garage. It is built into the home and I have a bedroom that sits directly on top of the garage which is always cold.....

:)Thank you

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The only gotchas in a garage are that the walls and ceilings between it and living space must have an approved fire barrier, typically 5/8" fire rated drywall is used (and a fire rated door into living space). So, depends on what is there now.

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The most economical way would be to used fiberglass insulation. The best way would be to use foam. It's my understanding that foam insulation isn't DYI type project.

Yes you can insulate a garage.

Tom

eastinway

Reaction score
Is foam insulation safe....

Thanks Jad and S for your replies.....

Just wondering is foam insulation safe?

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
The early/first foams had outgassing issues (toxic fumes long after install), and could burn. But nowadays those issues have been taken care of.

Not very safe for your bank account balance, though.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks