plumbing for stand up shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Blanch

Reaction score
I am trying to create a second entryway into my second floor bathroom. To do so I will need to get rid of the tub/shower that is on that wall. On the opposite wall is a closet and two countertop sinks. How involved would it be to put a stand up shower where the closet is. There is already plumbing on that side of the wall. Can the shower drain just be connected to the sink drain?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It will depend on how the drain lines are run and their size. A sink drain is often 1-1/2", a shower requires 2" and each needs its own vent, which may be easy, but the drain may not.

A shower needs to be at least 900 sq inches (a very small shower) and the opening must be at least 24" wide. Unless you can provide more than this, you'll find it very constricting.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
shower

There can be a lot of work between, "There is plumbing on that side of the room", and "Can I put a shower there?" There is absolutely no way to tell how easy, hard, or impossible it will be without knowing how the house is constrcuted and how the existing plumbing is installed. And you probably won't know either answer until you open the walls and floor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks