(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Steam Generators

Question Steam Generators

Good afternoon, this is my first post, thanks for having me.

My husband and I are currently working on remodeling our master tub/shower into a tiled steam shower. I have been combing the internet for info on steam generators and I'm finding it difficult to determine pros/cons/reliability of different manufacturers. Does anyone have any practical experience/advice on these expensive little units?

Thank You!
    Karen

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

I don't personally, but for another forum that may (and they can help with design and construction of the shower as well) is www.johnbridge.com.

If you haven't looked at it, check out www.schluter.com for Kerdi. Noble and Latticrete also make some waterproofing systems that could work.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    I have been combing the internet for info on steam generators and I'm finding it difficult to determine pros/cons/reliability of different manufacturers. Does anyone have any practical experience/advice on these expensive little units?

Thank You!
    Karen
    The pro's are, when they are working they are great. Each different unit may have their own type of maintanence( ie: descaling) procedure or non at all .

The cons are, if you get a person that does not know how to follow specs or installation instructions, then you will find that you will spend more money trying to figure out why they don't work.

Thank you both very much, the information was very useful and I will take the advise of both and put it to good use!

Hi:
    I have the same concerns about which brand of steam generator. The John Bridge site has us convinced to use the Kerdi system but I can't find any help on which brand of generator, Mr. Steam, Kohler, Thermasol, Steammist etc.? Have you made any progress?