Gas line options question

Users who are viewing this thread

OldGuru

Reaction score
Hello,
I am planning on installing a BBQ island and a fire pit in our back yard. Right now, we have no hardscape or obstacles. I will definitely hire a licensed plumber to install anything related to the any gas item we'll end up using, but would like to dig the trenches and prepare for this installation in advance.

I checked with the local county's building department the code concerning depth of the the pipes and still could not find the answer to my question. So here its:
I would like to install a flexible (yellow) gas line starting from an existing gas stub which exists already on the side of my house. I would like to have the pipes installed in an underground sleeve (or a conduit), such that if there is an issue later on, it will be simple to pull the existing yellow gas line and replace with a new one - without a need to break concrete which will cover it. If so, can anyone recommend the type of sleeve/conduit required for this job? Also, would that be considered as a metal or non-metal type of pipe as far as the code concerned? Anything else I should consider?

Any help and advice is appreciated.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You can not install Csst underground unless it is rated for burial and the yellow covered is not. Running it inside another pipe presents probles of it's own.

Iminaquagmire

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Here I'd use Schedule 80 PVC conduit. But that's going to be up to your building department to decide if its to code in your area.

OldGuru

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies.

I've searched online and found a CSST that can be buried underground: here

I noticed that they've got a metal conduit for it as well.

This might be more expensive overall, but possibly cheaper in the long term should a gas line replacement will be required.

What problem(s) to expect if I choose to run it inside another pipe? Water in the outer pipe?

Thanks again,

Jastori

Reaction score
Since you are planning to use a licensed plumber, it is their responsibility to figure out how to do the job to code. Their is no point in guessing about what materials may be used or allowed in advance. Make sure they are having the job permitted and inspected.

The best way to help out with digging, etc. is to coordinate with the person doing the work. When you call for estimates, tell them up front that you would like to do the digging work. That way, you only get estimates from people willing to work with you.

Once you settle on a contractor, he can tell you where to dig, how deep, etc. before he starts work.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
didn't this very same question come up a few months back? It feels very familiar but I suppose it could just be Deja'Vu all over again

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
?

quote; The world is full of stupid people. Try not to be one of the crowd.

Does that mean that one should try to excel at it, thus becoming the leader?

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
That really was aimed at a particular poster a few months back. I should probably change it at some point.

OldGuru

Reaction score
Thank you all!
The plumber I hired will bury the yellow pipe per the code in our area.
Thanks again for all your guidance and advice.
OG.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks