Simple Question

Users who are viewing this thread

LocalLoser

Reaction score
I know this is probably an easy question for some but I'm stumped. I have to replace my metal drain pipes under my sink. I want to replace everything from the pipe that goes into the pipe coming out of the floor all the way up to the strainer. I'm replacing the metal with pvc. My question is what should I use as a sealant between the metal pipe coming out of the floor and the beginning of the pvc pipe that has to go inside the metal pipe? I know there should be a sealant used there to prevent gases from coming up out of the pipe. I'm just not sure if I should use plumbers putty or maybe a type of caulk? Any help would be appreciated.

GabeS

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
Can you post a pic?

Sounds like a S trap if it's coming out of the floor instead of the wall.

LocalLoser

Reaction score
Sorry I don't have a digital camera but your right. My drain pipe is coming out of the floor. It my kitchen sink drain pipes that I'm replacing.

GabeS

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
The problem with s-trap is that they can siphon pulling the water out of the trap and breaking the water seal.

Did you smell sewage gas before?

Jastori

Reaction score
That connection should not rely on a sealant. Depending on the type of pipe coming out of the floor, you should (hopefully) be able to find the proper connector without too much trouble.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
S trap aside, if the metal pipe (galvanized¿) is threaded teflon enriched pipe dope or teflon tape on threads will suffice.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You need to have a trap adaptor on the metal pipe. You can not just slide the plastic inside and "glue" around it.

If I hear J.B. Weld I swear I'll, I'll......:eek:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Dude JB weld is awesome stuff. I use it for everything.

Redwood passes the duct tape helmet to NH Master...

masking-taped-face.jpg

LocalLoser

Reaction score
I'm not sure if you can see this image but it is of an s trap. The bottom section is the part that is extended down into the metal pipe coming up from the basement. There is a connector to attach it but I'm worried about gases from the drain.

ktsks22a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
In order to help you we have to know in what manner the s-trap will be connecting to the drain. Either a good description or, a picture is needed.

LocalLoser

Reaction score
Attaching the pvc pipe to the drain is not the problem. The problem is the drain pipe coming up from the basement is metal. It ends at about 3 inches above the bottom of the inside of my kitchen sink cabinet. There is a threaded connector there but the old metal pipe that was there (before it rusted through) was also inserted about 8 inches down into the pipe coming up from the basement. It was connected by a threaded connection (female to male) but when I removed the old metal pipe it looked like they had also used some kind of greasy substance to seal the pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks