(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: undercounter lighting

Extreme DIY Homeowner Scuba_Dave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jwelectric View Post
    Well then why are they installing electrical circuits for if they don't have a copy of the rules?

I have been doing this for over 40 years and I got to have a copy of the rules to know if it is right or wrong. Are they that much smarter than a old seasoned pro like me?

I suppose that it would be a lot simpler to just go make the installation for them than to try and teach the NEC on a discussion forum but I will give it a go anyhow.

Chapter Three of the NEC is titled;
    Chapter 3 Wiring Methods and Materials

This chapter will contain the rules that apply to the wiring methods of all conductors, cables and raceways.
    The referral to chapter three in 411.4 means that any of the wiring methods out there and approved for branch circuits would be allowed to be used.

A class 2 circuit is one that is supplied by a class 2 power source and the rules change. They canít be around circuits that are bigger than they are as they might get hurt. There are about a half dozen conductors listed for the installation of class 2 power limited conductors. Speaker wires are not part of this listing.

I feel as though I must ask you a couple of questions now.
    Do you really think that someone would undertake installing something that is sure to cause fires and kill without first doing a lot of research on the proper safety issues?
    Surly you donít think that someone would undertake an electrical installation without first obtaining a copy of the current electrical codes and doing an in-depth study of said codes, do you?
    The whole idea of forums like this is to assist people

Do I think people should undertake wiring without research?
    NO, but that IS what the person is doing

Do I think people will undertake wiring without research?
    YES, especially when they receive "assistance" such as yours

You might as well have said: "The answer is on the internet somewhere, go find it"

A better answer would be:

NO, you can't do that see - code such & such
    or
    YES, you can do that as long as you follow code such & such

AND giving them a link to look up the code, like this:

http://nfpaweb3.gvpi.net/rrserver/br...NFPASTD/7008SB

That is how people learn
    Otherwise they will just ignore code & do what they want
    Which is what everyone does NOT want, including the person looking for help
    DIY Handyman (not 4 hire)
    I have enough to do to my own house

Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
    The whole idea of forums like this is to assist people

Do I think people should undertake wiring without research?
    NO, but that IS what the person is doing

Do I think people will undertake wiring without research?
    YES, especially when they receive "assistance" such as yours

You might as well have said: "The answer is on the internet somewhere, go find it"

A better answer would be:

NO, you can't do that see - code such & such
    or
    YES, you can do that as long as you follow code such & such

AND giving them a link to look up the code, like this:

http://nfpaweb3.gvpi.net/rrserver/br...NFPASTD/7008SB

That is how people learn
    Otherwise they will just ignore code & do what they want
    Which is what everyone does NOT want, including the person looking for help

I understand that you have no way of knowing but I have been dealing with Frenchie for about as many years as you have been walking and the post was really meant as a joke that only me and Frenchie would understand.

But I do thank you for responding.

Ah, I see.....so you are over 65 then I guess & just about retired
    I'm close to 50

Well, when I said it was on the net, I said it, because it really is. I looked it up. So, the poster would be able to check it out, too, and see for himself what the classes and codes are, not all that difficult to do. Or even read. They are capable of doing that.

Here's what I found locally at a DIY store (not the Blue or orange box)

http://zilotek.com/led_striplight.htm

Ah, I see.....so you are over 65 then I guess & just about retired
    I'm close to 50
    No not just about but completely retired. I ain't gonna to sweat anymore for no amount of money. I ainít gonna do a thing that I can pay someone else to do for me and this includes wiping my own ÖÖÖÖÖ. easy there boy you are about to talk ugly.

Here is an example. About three years ago I ran out of gas going down the highway. The car rolled to within 30 feet of a gas pump when it stopped.
    What did I do?
    I called Triple A and had them dispatch someone out to me so I didnít have to exit the vehicle for any reason and walla a full tank of gas. All I had to do was sign my name.
    Remember I am retired and have nothing but time on my hands so I wasnít wasting any time while waiting for the service truck to arrive.

I am so lazy that I am trying to figure out a way I can use an inter-tube and a compressor to breathe for me.

I slide into the tube and then blow up the tube so it will squeeze out my breath and then let the air out of the tube so my chest can relax letting new air in. Then do the process all over.

The wife came home the other day and was surprised to see me watching the same DVD I was watching when she left 10 hours earlier that morning.
    She asked why I was watching the same movie. The answer was simple, the DVD player was on the other side of the room and so was the remote control for the TV.
    I sure was glad that she made me put a pee pad on the chair before she left. If she hadnít that chair might get to stinking.

Sorry for that pause in typing but I had to wait until my great grandson went to the bathroom before I could continue with this post after all I am too lazy to type it myself.

I actually ran out of gas while waiting behind a car at the pump
    I did manage to push it enough to get gas into it
    I do use Triple A for tire changes, and an old car died on the highway

My grandkids are just about old enough to have kids if they start early. Which is about par for the course on my ex-wife's side of the family. My son isn't 3 yet & doesn't like the computer as it takes me away from him

You just need the proper wiring & relay on that switch to the compressor. As the tube deflates (sitting on it) it hits a switch which kicks the compressor back on

Your time is worth something, so you must have wasted it

Quote Originally Posted by edlentz View Post
    Here's what I found locally at a DIY store (not the Blue or orange box)

http://zilotek.com/led_striplight.htm
    Thanks for that link, I'd prefer to go with 120v I think
    Doesn't say where you can buy them - sent them an E-mail
    But I do have 3 LED pucks w/12 LED's in each - uses 4 watts
    It can power 3 more pucks - so maybe I'll get 3 more

Actually LED's are dimmable of they are designed for it
    Last edited by Scuba_Dave; 01-23-2009 at 06:57 PM.

I actually ran out of gas while waiting behind a car at the pump
    I did manage to push it enough to get gas into it
    I do use Triple A for tire changes, and an old car died on the highway
    I just ain't gonna to push nothing that I can pay someone else push for me

My grandkids are just about old enough to have kids if they start early. Which is about par for the course on my ex-wife's side of the family. My son isn't 3 yet & doesn't like the computer as it takes me away from him
    I have three great grand children and one on the way. I had four girls and a boy and then had four grandsons with one grand daughter up until about a year ago when a set of twin grand daughters came along. I now have three great grand daughters and the one on the way is a boy.

You just need the proper wiring & relay on that switch to the compressor. As the tube deflates (sitting on it) it hits a switch which kicks the compressor back on
    Yes the proper wiring is important. I had it working off a PLC the other day when something went a little crazy. The compressor didnít shut off and the tube blew up so big it busted. Now this scared the living daylights out of the wife and she started yelling at the top of her lungs. Well this didnít matter to me much as my ears were ringing and I couldnít hear a thing she was saying. My ribs still hurt a little where the hole in the middle of that tube all but disappeared just before it exploded.

Your time is worth something, so you must have wasted it
    Ever been to the zoo? Did you go by the monkeys? Believe me I didnít waste my time. If the wife had of been with me we might have children that are younger than our great grand children.

Quote Originally Posted by scuba_dave View Post
    your time is worth something, so you must have wasted it
    :d :d :d :d :d

(edit - those were supposed to be laugh-smileys, I'm not sure why it's not working, keeps changing them back to lower-case D's.)
    Master Plumber Mark:

there is nothing better than the
    manly smell of WD 40 in the air
    while banging away on brass with a chisel and hammer...

it smells like......victory......

do not hit your thumb...

Those LED strips are 120 v with no xfrmr. I installed switched outlets in my cabinets and plugged into them. I got them at a DIY place called Men ard's (put those last two words together).

Thanks edlentz.

I'd be curious to see how they hold up for the long term. I have some white LED low profile biscuits from Ikea that I use for some up-lights on my entertainment center. They worked great for the first year or two and now they are beginning to dim.

I found some LED under cabinet lights made by Philips, but they are quite expensive. This is the Philips eW Powercore lights.

In my kitchen, I have some 120v halogen biscuits that have a three step dimmer. They are pretty nice, but when the bulbs burn out they do so in a supernova fashion and take out the fuse on the dimmer and sometimes the triac in the dimmer.

I'll be looking to replace both sets at some point.
    Last edited by CarlH; 01-27-2009 at 03:12 PM. Reason: spelling

No prob CarlH,

I have a couple of sets of the Halogen pucks that use the 12 v xfmr. They are about 6 years old and still work fine. But they get hot! I found these LEDS and they are great so far. I only installed them this summer so I don't have a long time with them. Good luck