Recirculating pump: Laing or Chilipepper?

Users who are viewing this thread

Janes

Reaction score
I am thinking of installing a recirculating pump in my master bath (the farthest away from the water heater) to eliminate the 4-gallon wait.
My plumber describes what he wants to install, and it sounds, from my research, like the Laing. He assures me it costs the equivalent of a 40-watt bulb to run the pump. However, he did not mention the additional cost of heating water constantly in the long line. A timer is not an appealing option because of the random way I use the water. I would prefer the on-demand button that seems to be part of the Chilipepper system.

Also, my plumber asks for a regular electrical outlet to be placed close to the water heater in the basement. The Chilipepper wants a 110-Volt outlet under the upstairs sink. On line I think the Laing directions also mention another outlet of some other voltage(oops, I did not print it out, so cannot say for sure).

Thoughts from people experienced with these systems?

Jane

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have had a Laing in my home for about 4 or 5 years. Works absolutely perfectly. I do not use a timer for the same reason you describe. You need to understand that a modern water heater is very well insulated and if you insulate the hot water pipes, including the return line, you will not notice an increase in the water heater's operation. I can't say there won't be a slight increase in the electric bill to run the pump nor can I say the heater won't operate slightly more, but I can say that any increases in power or gas usage will be so slight that you will not notice it. I have no knowledge of the Chilipepper device, so no comment.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Upon a second reading of your question, I should point out that my pump is located near the water heater and uses a separate return line. It serves the whole house. You may be looking at a different style system if your will be located in the bathroom.

pmoe

Reaction score
I just installed the Laing Autocirc1 (there is a '2' model now). Be advised that if you have a pedestal sink (like I do), you can probably forget about tucking the pump out of the way.

It works fine for the lav to which it is attached. However, it doesn't seem to do much for the shower a few feet away, nor the kitchen sink. I would not be surprised, however, if this is due to some bizarre way in which my house was plumbed over the years. I could have 6 home runs of copper going from the water heater.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks