Pressure issue

Users who are viewing this thread

draven8795

Reaction score
You said the hot and cold water each produce the same amount of flow per minute when you did your test. How many gallons per minute did you get in your test?

Your shower head can clog if you have hard water, so check that also.

Its a brand new shower head so Ive ruled that out. Ill have to do a test with each. Ive only done a gpm test with both turned on and got at least 4 gallons in one minute (I stopped before the minute since I was just testing to see if I could get a water softner that needed 4gpm which I have not purchased yet). I suppose that won't really tell me anything with both on since one could compensate for the other. Ill install the pex tonight and report back any results. Is there a gpm number I should be looking for?

Ladiesman271

Homeowner
Reaction score
I used the temparature item as an example to help explain my problem which i think clouded my original question. My water temparature is fine.

For a shower my water controls are set for mostly hot water and little cold, so your settings did not sound unusual to me. My shower head gives me about 1 gallon per minute during normal showers. With the water "full on" I get a flow rate a little over 2 gallons per minute. That is why I asked how many gallons per minute your got with your test.

I have never measured the pressure drop in my longest pipe run (about 60 feet), so I don't know what is a normal pressure drop.

Ladiesman271

Homeowner
Reaction score
Its a brand new shower head so Ive ruled that out. Ill have to do a test with each. Ive only done a gpm test with both turned on and got at least 4 gallons in one minute (I stopped before the minute since I was just testing to see if I could get a water softner that needed 4gpm which I have not purchased yet). I suppose that won't really tell me anything with both on since one could compensate for the other. Ill install the pex tonight and report back any results. Is there a gpm number I should be looking for?

If you get 4 gallons per minute, you don't have any problem with your pipes.

The shower head limit is 2.5 gallons per minute with a pressure of 80 PSI. Lower flow at lower pressure.

http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/consumer/your_home/water_heating/index.cfm/mytopic=13050

draven8795

Reaction score
For a shower my water controls are set for mostly hot water and little cold, so your settings did not sound unusual to me. My shower head gives me about 1 gallon per minute during normal showers. With the water "full on" I get a flow rate a little over 2 gallons per minute. That is why I asked how many gallons per minute your got with your test.

I have never measured the pressure drop in my longest pipe run (about 60 feet), so I don't know what is a normal pressure drop.

Ill do a test of both before and after to see what I get. Obviously if anything changes I should notice it right away. I guess most showers I've used I usually turn the hot water on some and the cold water on some never had one where I go all the way on with one and partly on with the other. Besides that point it still gives crappy flow out of the shower head.

Ladiesman271

Homeowner
Reaction score
I guess most showers I've used I usually turn the hot water on some and the cold water on some never had one where I go all the way on with one and partly on with the other.

Same with me.

My current tankless water heater gives me water at 120 degrees. Now I use little cold in the mix when I shower.

My previous tank type was set to about 140 degrees. I used less hot and more cold with that heater.

Also it is now winter, and my cold water is now down to 40 degrees. You mix in less cold water in winter to end up with a nice temperature for a shower.

Any how, good luck!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks