Problems with GE Hot Water Heater

Users who are viewing this thread

nottick

Reaction score
A GE water heater( 30 gallon) manufactured by Rheem was installed.

It was powered "on" before it was fully filled.
It made hot water the first day, the second day I had to press "reset" button.

today, third day still no hot water, pressed "reset" button and the thing blew the breaker with sparks shooting out of top access panel.

Could the heating elements or thermostats have been damaged due to being powered and not having the tank fully filled.?

If so, can I purchase a "plumbers pack" from Home Depot( includes upper and lower thermostat and two heating elements ) and replace all.

Thanks in advance to any and all who provide assistance.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Well, guess you've learned, turning a WH on before it is filled is a sure way to ruin the thing...yes, replacing the elements and thermostats replaces all active parts in the tank. If you're lucky, it tripped before it compromised the tank wall.

nottick

Reaction score
GE Water heater

Being as the top access panel is where I had the spark, can I assume the top element and thermostat are the only things that need to be replaced?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Maybe... Maybe not!

At this point the water heater needs to be troubleshot to determine the true extent of the damage the has occurred to the components and wiring of the water heater, to determine what components are needed, or if complete replacement is needed.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

The upper element is definitely shot, but whether anything else is or not is indefinite until it has been tested. I only replace what is broken.

nottick

Reaction score
HJ, replaced what was broken

As is the case with most of the posts I do here, I tend to inherit the problems after a staff member has screwed-up.

After some questioning of the individuals involved I was able to learn that the power was turned after the tank had begun to be filled.

I did check the lower element and thermostat - they were good. I had to replace only the upper element and thermostat.

Thanks to all who provided their insight to assist me to resolve this issue.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks