4-way old wiring question

Users who are viewing this thread

challett

Reaction score
Hi-

I've been doing some remodeling work in my house, and I've run across a wiring situation that is unusual to me. I was having a problem which I believe I have solved with a new switch. My question is how safe is the original wiring.

Lights--[2 wire cable]--Box 1(3way)--[2 wire cable]--Box 2(4way)--[2 wire cable]--Box 3(3way)--[2 wire cable]--Hot

I am familiar with the correct way to wire a 3-way and 4-way switch (using a 3 lead cable), but this wiring is from the 60s and I just wanted to be sure that it wasn't a major problem.

Thanks,
Chris

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
If you are asking about the condition of the wiring then no one could answer the question without seeing it in person.

If you need help with how to wire then we can help.

Did they use BX or old Romex in the original house wiring?

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
If you are asking about the condition of the wiring then no one could answer the question without seeing it in person.

If you need help with how to wire then we can help.

Did they use BX or old Romex in the original house wiring?

I see a problem with the diagram because of how they got a grounded conductor to the fixture.

Last edited:

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
Basically there is safety from electrocution for adults, safety from electrocution for kids (small children like to stick objects in things), and safety from fire.

In general the newer the wiring/devices and the newer the codes the wiring/devices was installed to, the more safe it will be.

Can you post pictures?

Also electrical inspectors are experts on this stuff. Might want to go ask your local electrical inspector if he or someone he might recommend could visit your house and take a look at the wiring.

Or you could get an electrical permit to do some electrical work, then while the inspector is there, ask if he could give your other wiring a look. In my area the electrical inspectors are not very busy now due to the economy and reduced construction activity, so maybe you might find a bored inspector who would welcome something to do!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks