Toilet Flange Cost

Users who are viewing this thread

Pangel

Reaction score
Wanted to see if anyone could let me know how much it should cost to have a plumber install a new toilet flange. We bought a new toilet and had a plumber do the install (which was $120 for what they call a "normal" install). Well, once he got here, he said the flange was broken and we needed a new one. It involved cutting the original pipe down about 1/4 inch and installing the new flange and bolting to the floor. It took maybe 20 minutes for him to do. When he gave me the bill, he charged $275.00 for just the installation of the flange. I just about passed out. We have two more toilets that need replaced, but I definately want to be more edcuated about this process as the cost far exceeded what I thought it would cost. Thanks for any input on this subject. :confused:

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
redring.jpg
It's hard to know what the plumber did without a picture, most of the time, I can use a red ring like the one pictured above if the old flange will not hold down the bolts. I've been charging $40 for that.​

Pangel

Reaction score
Thanks Terry for the response. I think part of his problem was that the new toilet would not fit on the existing flange becuase it was too high (as well as broken). The previous toilet had several shims under it and a ton of what looked like caulk to get it to fit snug. I just thought it was a very high labor cost for what took less than 30 minutes to do. I know that what took him 30 minutes would take me days to do, so I do appreciate his experience and realize part of the cost is for that experience. Thanks again for your help.

Peg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Not defending the guy, but depending on where you live, he may have had a long ride out to your house and then back again to where he could perform any other useful work. Some of the time/labor may have been his travel time. You live out in the boonies? Many of the guys charge door-to-door - from when they leave the office until when they get back. Thus, your on-site 30-minutes, may have been 3-4 hours "lost" out of his day.

Last edited:

Pangel

Reaction score
I had not thought about the travel time, but he would have had at most a 30 minute drive each way. He gave me the price for the normal install, but I never thought to ask how much extra if the flange needs replaced. I did not perceive it to be a big deal in price especially if the flooring did not have to be altered or repaired. Big time mistake. What I have learned is to ask a lot more questions regarding pricing of work. Thanks for your input.

Peg

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
30 minutes each way; that's one hour. Someone has to pay for that hour, and I assure you, it is NOT the tooth fairy! He had parts and tools in the truck; knew what to do; he fixed what was previously a "jury-rigged" installation.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Travel expenses twice?

Jimbo, the man was quoted a price to install the toilet, and that would have included the one hour travel time. The extra charge for the repair should have been just a pro rated per hour charge since he was already there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks