(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2 GFCI receptacle ?'s

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Most places prohibit working on the electrical in a multi-family dwelling by the homeowner...depends on if your condos are standalone units or flats or townhouses. In my condo (a townhouse), it is illegal to do ANY plumbing or electrical work uniless you have a license. I could do work on my home if it was a standalone dwelling.

Even if it was against code, having a separate circuit for a bathroom is a good idea...plug in that hair dryer, curling iron, etc., and someone else turns on something in say a neighboring bedroom on the same circuit, and breakers or GFCI start tripping. Much better to confine it to the one room.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by RayP View Post
    The NEC makes it very clear that it is NOT law, is NOT meant to mandate anything. The AHJ (authority having jurisdiction) MAY mandate and enforce the NEC, in part, or in whole, or not at all. For example, although we are in 2009, and the most recent code edition is 2008, New York State requires it's municipalities to enforce the 2002 code, with local control on how closely and how completely. Also, the NEC does not even mention what may apply to existing installations. This is why you won't see officials going house to house to make sure you have your GFCI's or AFCI's in place. If your bank or insurance company has a different opinion, that is up to them and you.
    So, not every job requires a permit.
    I don't know anything about your state but in mine, the legislature has adopted the NEC AS LAW. And the AHJ is rrequired to enforce the code (LAW) but can't add or subtract from it. In fact, if you have an AHJ that isn't following the code (LAW) there is an appeal process set up in the law to allow you to appeal his decisions.

Now, I have no problem with the AHJ applying common sense in his enforcement and I don't agree with every part of the code. But there seems to be a glut of AHJs who are not endowed with common sense so it's good that they're limited to enforcing the code as its written and aren't given the latitude to do more.