shared well pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

sharedwell

Reaction score
We have a shared well with 1 other home, well and pressure tank on our property, both houses built in 50's, 3/4 hp pump, 11 yrs old, whole house water filter in both basements. Our water pressure is fine but neighbor complaining of very low pressure, any ideas?? They had inspect, checked flow in our laundry tub, 5 gpm at 40psi, possible plumbing issues in neighbor basement, but they recommend pump replacement. Our inspect says 5 gpm is normal with water filter on line, old 3/4" pipes from well to both homes, possibility that neighbor pressure low because of their filter and distance from tank to their basement, he suggested they add extra smaller tank in their basement and that overall well is working fine. Any other ideas why neighbor pressure is low??

Robert444

Reaction score
I'm not an expert, but if your water pressure and volume is OK, how can a new pump improve your neighbor's situation? How old is the existing pump?

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need to get a licensed or certified well expert out to take a look because someones inexperience is going to cause you to waste some money.Robert is right,that new pump will not improve anything if there is a restriction somewhere. That new tank will not improve the overall water pressure. If the restriction is before the new water tank, they might have good pressure until the new tank is empty. If the restriction is after the new water tank they will not experience any difference at all. They have a restriction somewhere and it needs to be pinpointed. If they have low pressure but the gauge is reading good pressure it's an obvious restriction. I would check the filter cartridge first. The 3/4" pipe going to the house could be the culprit as well. The key to you figuring out exactly what the problem is, would be to hire a professional.

sammy

www.tylerwellandpump.com

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
well

If the pump is adequate for your system it should be for his also. The problem could be the size of the line, the condition of the line, the condition of his filter, the elevation of his house relative to yours, or possibly some other factor we are not thinking about.

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
I am presuming that water supply was fine in both houses before "sometime recently". Is the pressure and flow you are getting the same as it always was? Or did it used to be higher. Just because it is "OK", if it half what it used to be there could be a problem between the pump and destination.

How is the distribution piping laid out. One line to you, one to the other house directly from the well, one line part way with a split. One line going through your house and on to the next. This lets you think about where possible differences occur. Where is the pressure tank(s) in the system. Are there any other devices before the distribution pipes.

Put a pressure gauge on a regular faucet in both houses. There should be faucets available before any inside plumbing to complete testing. With no water running, are the measurements the same. They should be. Leaving the gauges in place and turned on, open a faucet in one house than the other. What did the pressure do.

Repeat with faucets placed before the inside plumbing (tanks, filters, whatever).

With no water being used in either house (use main shutoff if there is one) watch the pressure gauge at the pressure tank. If it moved down over a period of time, there is a leak in the piping somewhere.

After doing these things you should pretty much know where the problem lies.

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
May I suggest a plumber. Well guys drill holes. Pump guys I would think produce pressurized output to the water distribution system. Plumbers figure out why the distribution does not work. Admittedly some overlapping of knowledge.

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
Ya know, there seems to be a bit of over specialization (or perception thereof) here. A plumber should be able to diagnose a situation where input pressure and flow to a building system is OK but internal results are not. Actually it is relatively simplistic, regardless of the "area of specialization". It is basic logical troubleshooting. Involves basically pressure vs flow and the results of the interaction. This is not an obscure and non-obvious relationship to anyone with even a minimal education in the sciences. An area sadly deficient (and considered non-essential by many of the unwashed hoards (which includes some of the supporters of the "arts" and a "broad education" and "testless progression" (or stupid tests that dictate the education in the US focus on passing the tests rather than learning the process of learning)).

A simple examination of the system should lead to the appropriate repair. The entire idea of having one person who only knows about making holes in the ground, one that lowers equipment into said hole, and one who understands what happens after that, is an indictment of the US education system and the narrowness of the trades definition of what they do. And that ignores the people that show up to determine and fix water quality issues. I will buy this separation.

Making a water system should be the objective and people should be appropriatly competant.

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
You know how many jobs i go on where plumbers put in brand new pumps and the people still have low water pressure!! Out 800.00 because of a small suction leak that could had been resolved by calling a pro and spending under 100.00.

I don't pretend to know anything about boilers..I call my plumber!

sammy

www.tylerwellandpump.com

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Most plumbers don't know water systems or pumps and can not pull a pump.

The assumption of a restriction is ok but 5 gpm at the house without complaint says maybe something wrong with the pump etc.. So IMO the whole system needs to be gone over starting with removal of the cartridges from the 'whole house' filters, then air pressure in the pressure tank and electrical checks of the pump.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
The pump isn't the problem!

By the information supplied the pump is OK! The problem is in the line. Either a restriction or buildup of corrosion in the water line, a restricted cut off valve, a water conditioner or plugged filter.

It could be that the 3/4" flow line is causing the problem if it runs some distance. A 1" line would perhaps been better.

You may want to contact a qualified licensed and certified driller, pump installer or plumber. My past experience is that plumbers aren't qualified in pumping systems. . . however that is changing.

Never less it sounds like your pump is OK, the problem is after the pump.

An additional tank at the other home may or may not help. . . that's just a band aid for the problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks