or one I should avoid?

I am looking for a 10" rough in toilet.
3208-3464

votens_3208.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
This brand is noted in Terry's Report on Low Flow Toilets, but there is no data. However, you might want to look into the Toto Guinevere. This looks to be an excellent choice. Sorry I can't give you any opinions on the Vortens Vienna. I can say this is a brand that I do not recall ever being discussed on this forum, so that makes me a bit skeptical.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
We don't even bother selling the Toto Carusoe, though I did use one in my hotel room at Whistler/Blackcomb and it seemed to work fine. The trapway on those is 1-7/8", a bit on the small side.

We sell the Drake, which has a 2-1/8" trapway with long sweeps.

The Cimarron plugged quite a bit when I had it installed in my home.

The Mansfield Alto in my daughters home, they plugged all three the first day they moved into their new home.

The Kohler Wellworth is a common builder grade toilet that gets replaced.

It's nice that the Vortens could flush balls. I've seen many toilets that can, but have problems with paper and other objects.

Many trapways will bounce a ball down the trapway, and catch paper.
And that's why I prefer to use the bowl in the home before writing about it. It's the only real way to test them. Nobody flushes balls away.

I did have the Vortens pressure assist installed for a while with the Flushmate 1.1 gallon flush. The cartridge had a hard time sealing, so I would turn it off between uses. It was bad out of the box.

It's too bad they didn't test any good toilets.

Last edited:

Neotonic

Reaction score
We don't even bother selling the Toto Carosoe, though I did use one in my hotel room at Whistler/Blackcomb and it seemed to work fine. The trapway on those is 1-7/8", a bit on the small side.

The Cimarron plugged quite a bit when I had it installed in my home.

The Mansfield Alto in my daughters home, they plugged all three the first day they moved into their new home.

The Kohler Wellworth is a common builder grade toilet that gets replaced.

It's nice that the Vortens could flush balls. I've seen many toilets that can, but have problems with paper and other objects.

Many trapways will bounce a ball down the trapway, and catch paper.
And that's why I prefer to use the bowl in the home, it's real.

I did have the Vortens pressure assist installed for a while with the Flushmate 1.1 gallon flush. The cartridge had a hard time sealing, so I would turn it off between uses. It was bad out of the box.

It's too bad they didn't test any good toilets.

yeah, I just thought about the Toilet paper situation.. They should have put the Toto Drake in the line up =P Its amazing what you can find on YouTube lol

DaPlumma

Reaction score
Western commodes

one commode that you don't hear about and is a great flushing commode is the" WESTERN" BRAND COMMODE. I'm a 19yr long plumber that does residential repairs and have replaced many commodes with the "Western" . Customers are always pleased with them and always call for the other commode in the home to be changed out after seeing that it does perform great.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Take a close look at the trapway molded into the porcelain, especially at the point where it turns and goes down the flange to the drain...it looks like it makes a very sharp bend there. Hard to tell for sure. Sharp bends slow things down, and that can cause clogs, especially if you flush a real log!

RedHouse

Reaction score
Will the Vortens Hurricane do better?
Vortens' own words:
2-1/8" Fully Glazed Trapway
High-Eff iciency Toilet (HET) with
Powerful 1.28 gpf / 4.8 lpf Flush